Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Is it possible to take a pickguard from a Marcus Miller bass and put it on a normal jazz bass? I know there would be extra holes but I don't think they would be that bad looking. I am assuming that you can drill in the holes to fit the standard jazz bass's controls too. Am I right or would this be a bad thing to do? Can I even get a pickguard like this?

2. well, without much thought, i suppose you could. without taking the time to do any measurements or anything, i will give you my logic. Marcus Miller's signature jazz bass is based off his sadowsky modified 70's jazz bass. i think its 1977? anyways, since i don't believe fender has changed the jazz bass shape or control layout, i suppose you could. yes, you'd have to drill holes to fit the standard controls, but thats not too hard, probably not as hard as finding a spare marcus miller jazz bass pickguard!
    Charlie

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The thing about the MM pickguard is that it's not a single piece. AFAIK, It's a three piece.

I don't know what you call the material pickguards are made from, but I've seen sheets of that material available for purchase so people can make their own custom pickguards.

You could try to find a person who owns a MM bass, trace their pickguard, use it as a template to cut the shape on a blank pickguard sheet, drill the extra holes in your bass and replace the electronics.

Sounds like a whole lot of time and money would have to be spent for very little if any real benefits, but if it's your dream, hey...