1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Antonio, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Antonio

Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
    Ok, first off I'd like to say hello, I just found out about this forum and I must say I am very happy to be arround so many fellow bassists. :hyper:
    So here is my first post / question.

I'm trying to figure out if the following scenerio is possible with any number / combination of switches. I just can't seem to get all the wires straight in my head. So here we go, I'll try to make this as clear as I can.

I would like to have 2 humbuckers with the option to switch each humbucker individually between series/parrallel, and split(with the option of choosing which coil i.e. any combination of inner/outer for each humbucker).

Lastly, if that is possible, which I'm pretty sure it is (I think :confused: ) I was also thinking of adding a kind of master switch for series parallel between the two pickups (as apposed to the former series/parrallel switch's which would be for each pickup's coils).

So I'm sure this sounds like a crazy idea, but what the hell, if it's possible, I'd like to try it. If possible I would rather use any number/combination of dp/dt switches as apposed to a mega switch (call it crazey but I just don't like how those look :rollno: ) Anyway I'm going to keep plucking away at this thing (get it....) if anybody can offer any suggestions or approaches I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's certainly possible - it depends on the pickups though. If they only have two wire output, then you can only do a master series/parallel.
    But many pickups do have four wire output, allowing you to do series/parallel individually and also master series/parallel
    The Fender Roscoe Beck RB5 bass allows each neck/bridge pickup set to split between series/parallel/single. The Lakland 55-02 lets you choose different coil configs for the bridge MM pup.

So, to sum up, it is possible - depending on the pickups you use. What is your current bass and pickup config?