Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Antonio, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Antonio

Jul 8, 2004
    Ok, first off I'd like to say hello, I just found out about this forum and I must say I am very happy to be arround so many fellow bassists. :hyper:
    So here is my first post / question.

I'm trying to figure out if the following scenerio is possible with any number / combination of switches. I just can't seem to get all the wires straight in my head. So here we go, I'll try to make this as clear as I can.

I would like to have 2 humbuckers with the option to switch each humbucker individually between series/parrallel, and split(with the option of choosing which coil i.e. any combination of inner/outer for each humbucker).

Lastly, if that is possible, which I'm pretty sure it is (I think :confused: ) I was also thinking of adding a kind of master switch for series parallel between the two pickups (as apposed to the former series/parrallel switch's which would be for each pickup's coils).

So I'm sure this sounds like a crazy idea, but what the hell, if it's possible, I'd like to try it. If possible I would rather use any number/combination of dp/dt switches as apposed to a mega switch (call it crazey but I just don't like how those look :rollno: ) Anyway I'm going to keep plucking away at this thing (get it....) if anybody can offer any suggestions or approaches I would surely appreciate it.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's certainly possible - it depends on the pickups though. If they only have two wire output, then you can only do a master series/parallel.
    But many pickups do have four wire output, allowing you to do series/parallel individually and also master series/parallel
    The Fender Roscoe Beck RB5 bass allows each neck/bridge pickup set to split between series/parallel/single. The Lakland 55-02 lets you choose different coil configs for the bridge MM pup.

So, to sum up, it is possible - depending on the pickups you use. What is your current bass and pickup config?