Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Aug 16, 2001.

1. I was thinking of doing an addition to my Squier P-bass. Right now it has 1 P pickup. I want to add a Jazz pickup in the bridge position. I know that is possible. But, I want to add a 3 position switch for P, J, and P/J. And maybe another volume knob for the J pickup. Would this all be possible?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes, but why do you need dual volumes and a blend switch? It's pointless. Either have dual volumes, or a blend switch and one overall volume output knob.

If you do two volumes, you simply either put 1 on and 1 off to select one by itself, or both full on to have both on (and adjust until one doesn't overpower the other).

There's no need for both, they do the same job.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Well, unless you want Tom Morello-style toggle-switch action in your bass solos.

4. I actually wouldn't mind having a toggle switch on my PJ bass.. but the cavity is already pretty crowded as is.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.. the wiring would be similar to that of a Les Paul.. only with a master tone knob instead of tone for each pickup.

5. Well, I was thinking of the second volume knob in case the Jazz pickup was louder than the P and drowned it out or something.

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    im sure its possible, but unless you're doing all the work yourself, woudn't it be cheaper to buy another squier with the p/j configuration? Getting all that work done (routing the body, etc.) seems like it would cost more than the origional price of the bass.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Volume/volume balance can be adjusted with the pickup height.

8. I forgot about that, Angus, thank you.

And I would be doing the work myself. Except the routing. That I'd leave my dad to do. I would make a huge mess of everything. :)