1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by badboy1984, Jan 3, 2008.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering have anyone try wiring their passive bass to have master volume / bass boost / treble boost setup?

Reason i was asking is because my G&L is a passive bass that can go to active. While it is in passive i can use the bass and treble EQ.

Now sure if i can get this kind of setup on my other bass so i can EQ the tone while keeping everything in passive

2. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    The only PASSIVE EQ that can CUT and BOOST frequencies (that I am aware of) is the Villex Passive EQ. It has cut and boost in lows/mids/highs. In fact, this very moment I am trying to upload some samples in zshare

3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Your G&L's controls are cut only. The preamp is more of a line boost than a traditional preamp. G&L pickups have a metric poopieeton of bottom to start with so they don't need a bass "boost". I'm curious how the Villex Passive EQ system works. I don't know of any way to boost a level without some sort of power.

4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I need to pull out my G&L 2500 cause I am am not sure that the pots for highs and lows are functioning when the preamp is off

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    About ready to order the new system myself, but I would certainly love to hear the samples first!

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I don't know how he does it but I have heard the EQ and I know it works (I own it for one reason). I am trying to upload files (.wav) on zshare right now but it takes ages

7. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    there is no way to boost a signal without haveing an active filter or preamp in place. you simply cannot get something out of nothing.

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    You'd think so, but you'd be wrong in this case. The Villex systems (I have had two different boosters of his) do in fact what they claim to do.

How it's done? Dunno, but it works.

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I totally agree with you, but... how does one explain that the Villex PRTB when bypass-ed does not affect the output of my bass (we are all ok with that, I suppose) but gradually increases the output of my bass when turned on (the input gain indicators of my iAmp show that, as well as my ears listen that)? I am no electrical engineer, even though I am a scientist. I am not able to give any answer, but just state the result

10. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I would love to hear the sample because i would love to install those EQ on my P-bass to replace the 2x tone pots i got on my p.

About the G&L issue,

I think those preamp EQ still works when you switch to passive mode which i think it is very handy. Cos i hardly need to go into active mode on my Tribute 2500 cos the sound on the passive mode is good already and is louder then my warwick corvette passive.

11. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I did a little digging an it appears what they are doing is useing a very hot pickup that delivers more than normal gain to the circuit which is then split to the different tone controls and attenuated. It is then mixed back in with the original but attenuated signal. So it sounds as if you get a boost but all that is really happening is you are getting more of the initial power from the pickup. At least this is what I understood from what I read.

Make sense? Its very inovative and quite clever if you ask me.

12. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    That does make sense. Jibes with the XLR option being available (gonna get that too)...you would need a pretty hot signal for that to work.

13. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I agree with this part. What about the PRTB booster? the pickups were there before I placed the booster so I know their passive side and their output (and the increase of output when engaging the booster). Still I believe what I hear

14. yarlipo

yarlipo

Apr 2, 2006
    Reading, UK
    Villex passive EQ only comes with Villex pickups. Villex tone booster (PRTB) can work with any passive pickups. So the only way to have Villex passive EQ on a G&L is to replace the pickups.

Villex PRTB boosts mids and lows; you can read a review with sound samples here. It was used with an active bass in the review, but you can still get some idea on the change in the sound.

Tigran

15. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Abit of misunderstand here, wasn't planning to mod anything on my G&L. I just try to get that G&L pot setup for my other bass which is a passive P-bass with p + mm pickup.

I definite will have a look at those information you guys given.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021