Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jan 27, 2003.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hello,
    I had this crazy idea for small gig rig, to use my Ampeg B-1 Rack head that's 150 watts @ 4 ohms into a 12 or 15. But I'm afraid there won't be enough headroom, and so I started thinking about those little one rackspace Samson Servo-powered amps, and I was wondering if it's possible to run two power sections into one cab? I suppose if I needed that much more volume I could add a cab and get the small power amp, and run a line out of my Ampeg into the samson, but if I did run a 1/4 inch out into the samson would that disable the power section on my Ampeg, or would I have to run the XLR into the 2nd amp to keep the power section available on the Ampeg? Hope you guys can offer some advice.

Dirk

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Don't do it! Never connect outputs of different amps together!

That Ampeg head has a great preamp. I used to own one myself. You can take the preamp output and run it into the input of a power amplifier and use that power amp to drive your cab.

Here is the rub though. If you are just driving a 1x12 or a 1x15, the extra power won't make much of a difference in volume. Volume is all about moving air and a 1x15 has its limits no matter how much power you put in. You may want to consider going to two cabs if the 1x15 isn't cutting it for you.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Damn, I didn't read all of your message. Running the line out will not disabled the power amp in the B-1. You can run the amps to two seperate cabs without any troubles.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You should be able to run the Ampeg without a speaker attached. Solid state amps don't mind that (unlike tube amps...and the tubes in the B-1 are only in the preamp).