1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TheNewComer, Jun 3, 2011.

1. TheNewComer

TheNewComer

Feb 4, 2011
    Hello All,

I am restricted to about 1 hour a day of plugged in play time. I was wondering if i could plug my guitar into the back of my computer, (Maybe into the soundcard?I have a soundblaster xfi) and still (?with software?) keep the same range of effects?? In other words, can the computer be turned into kind of a effects generator? I live in a fairly small house and with 3 others living with me, a loud guitar can be kind of a annoyance. What would I need to make this conversion? I could play all day/night long if I could play with my headphones, and yes the amp has a headphone jack but with the computer, it would be much easier to record straight onto the computer.

Thanks guys,

B:bawl:

2. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Yes. If you have an audio interface you could in fact play through your computer.

Look into recording interfaces (starting at around $100) and you are set.

3. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    If you're not particularly wanting to record, and you already have your effects pedals, you might find that you can make do with what you've got. If you take that route, you'll need to an adapter or cable which goes from instrument-sized jacks (1/4 inch) to mini-jack ... assuming your sound card has mini-jacks. Plug that into your soundcard (line-in or mic socket) and adjust the sound settings on your computer to suit (you might find the mic input is muted or turned down for instance). You may be able to do that for 10 dollars or less. I'm assuming you have (or have budgeted for) headphones.

If you want the computer to emulate effects, however, you're definitely looking at more expenditure. Most audio interfaces come with recording software, and some (or most ? somebody advise me, please) of those will allow you to use plugins, including amp simulation and effects simulation.

If its really effects simulation you're after, Line 6 offer a few different audio interfaces that have included amp/effect emulation software. I use a Bass POD XT from Line 6 which will connect you to a computer, but that is slightly different. The effects and amp emulation are in the Bass Pod itself so you have no route to expanding your range of emulations. These are now getting cheaper on eBay.

I'm sure there must be other packages (of audio interface and amp/effect emulation software) but I can't think of any names right now.

Andy

4. TheNewComer

TheNewComer

Feb 4, 2011
    Thanks for the responses guys. Ive been looking into the Line 6 ux1 and the ux2. Anybody have experience running one on Vista 32bit?? Looks like a pretty decent unit.