1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is this possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Billy K, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I had to add a new switchcraft jack to my Squire and needed a new lenght of ground wire .so I cut a piece of the only wire I had laying around which was a rather heavy gage single strand wire and used that. I hooked it upo from the jack to the top of the tone pot.Works fine. Here is what I don't get. The volume of the bass is so much more loud.I don't understand it. It is almost like it is a active pickup. I am not complaining just wondering why.How could a length of heavy gage wire used as a ground do this? It could be that Squire never added a ground wire at the factory and now the bass is working like it is suppose to .

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Fender likes to skimp on wires and use the control plate for ground. That's fine so long as your have a nice clean mechanical connection. If that oxidizes over time, or a pot or jack get lose, you can have intermittent grounds.

So I always connect a ground wire between the pot cans and ground.

EMG used to use a thick solid piece of bus wire to ground the pots together on their loaded Strat pick guards, even though they are sitting on foil. It's a better way to run your grounds. Current flows on the outside surface of wires, so having a thicker wire gives you more surface area = lower resistance.

3. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    Thanks SDG I thought I was hearing things( no not those voices again lol) I think I am hearing the pickups as they're supposed to be.as you described the pickups were in and out sounded like shorting out now it is solid and sounds great infact I am reconsidering swapping out for 1/4 lb'ers..

4. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    Also the switch craft is a 2 dollar investment well worth it.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd be more likely to suspect a problem with the old wire, like a partial short between the hot and the shield, or a poor ground connection like david suggested. it could even have been an unrelated issue with say a pot lug touching something it shouldn't.

the fat ground wire bus bar thing is cool, but really it's about a mechanical benefit, namely not allowing any of the pots to spin and break wires if they get loose.