1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this preamp configuration possible?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ghoulbug, Sep 1, 2008.

1. I used to scoff at onboard preamps ("why not just use the outboard?"), but I realized how much more convenient and versatile it would make my bass to install one.

Right now I'm looking at the Aguilar preamps, which seem to be the most popular, and the OBP-3 seems to fit my needs with its mid controls.

I'll be installing this on a single-pickup P-bass, though, and I want as few visual alterations as possible. Would the following configuration be possible with just 3 pots?:

- stacked Volume + Mids (50k dual pot)
    - stacked Bass + Treble (50k dual pot)
    - stacked Passive Tone Control + active/passive bypass (250k push/pull pot)

I know this seems really funky, but I'd really like to have maximum control with minimum invasiveness.

Also, I keep hearing that the OBP-3's treble control at 6.5khz is really harsh. Any way to enjoy the OBP-1's 4khz without taking away the mid controls?
    Seems the Nordy preamp has those freqs, but doesn't have the DIY customization options of the Aggie.......

2. Have you looked into the Audere module? It lets you pick/adjust frequencies for most of the controls.

3. ahhh why hadn't I thought of audere? I must have overlooked it because I thought it was a Jazz-only preamp.

Configuration options seem nice, but I think I need more info. Time to rummage through the TB archives!

4. I unfortunately don't think I've heard enough about Audere to make a concrete decision yet. :(

The fact that Valenti uses Aguilar, and that Sadowsky is very similar to it has me leaning towards Aggie. I'd just like to know if my unorthodox knob configuration's possible!

If not, I'll just have to settle for a 2-band eq....