1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this product something you're familiar with?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, Apr 20, 2009.

  1. Toasted


    May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

    Is this product something you're familiar with? Is it commonly called Double Cream where you live? Is the thinner variety called Single Cream? TYIA.

    :ninja: Hotlink :ninja:
  2. Is toasted toasted?
  3. At 20 past 10 in the morning!


    its the same where i live but then again i dont live all that far from you in the great scheme of things
  4. Toasted


    May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've gotta be honest guys, I was hoping that some of our non-UK members would answer. I'd be pretty suprised if Double Cream wasn't called Double Cream and Single Cream called Single cream where you guys live :)
  5. I think it might be a little early for our non-UK friends
  6. Toasted


    May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Especially Blisshead. I heard he stays up all night rawking to Hatebreed and then sleeps all day.
  7. L-A


    Jul 17, 2008
    I think around here it goes with (from thinner to thicker) english cream (3-5%), table cream (10-15%), and whipping cream (35%), which I think is also called cooking cream.

    These appellations are pretty common around here.
  8. BurningSkies

    BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

    Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sorry, I've never seen it around here as either single or double cream.

    If it is a regular 'cream' then we have things like 'light cream', 'heavy cream', 'whipping cream' and 'half & half' in our dairy aisles next to the milk.
  9. dj150888


    Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Well I'm only across the water in Ireland, but we still have single and double cream.

    Just you try selling English cream over here :p
  10. DigMe


    Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Same. I'm guessing the double cream is akin to our "heavy whipping cream" which is commonly used both for cooking and for making whipped cream to go on top of pied and whatnot.

  11. XtreO


    Jan 2, 2008
  12. jazzy grille

    jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

    Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    No, but I'll drink anything that has "Double" and "Cream" on the label.
  13. Marlat


    Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Double action anti-fungal cream?
  14. Alcyon


    Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    In canada we get cream in bags.
  15. MakiSupaStar

    MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

    Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think they become double after you've conducted double blind studies on them and have written magic messages with a 100 dollar pen on the container before putting it in the refridgerator.
  16. L-A


    Jul 17, 2008
    Really? :confused:
  17. I eat that. it's called sour cream.

    and the thicker stuff is yogurt.
  18. Marlat


    Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Double cream and sour cream are two different things. Sour cream goes on nachoes. Double cream does not (its way too liquid).
  19. ehque


    Jan 8, 2006
    Is double cream simply whole milk (single cream) with all the cream from another batch of milk of the same volume added to it?
  20. Marlat


    Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The mystery is solved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_cream

    It appears in the US, what we call "Double Cream" is hard to get (Double Cream is heavy cream of 48% or more fat).

Share This Page