Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this real? A six-string Steinberger?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've never seen one of these before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-String-Steinberger-Could-Be-One-of-a-Kind_W0QQitemZ7383359159QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something looks a little odd to me. Zero feedback never inspires much confidence -- probably a scam. THe no serial number thing is a real alarm bell.

If I were actually interested in this bass, I could in theory ask the guy if I could see it since I live in Portland, but sixers aren't my thing, and this model definitely isn't all-graphite, so it's not for me.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Interesting. It looks almost more like a guitar to me...

3. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Don't be so quick screaming "it's an evilBay scam!!" (generally a bit of nuisance here on tb).
    This could well be some XQ prototype, if rather for the guitar player.
    Of course it's not all-graphite, only the L-series were (playing an XL-2 yourself I'd expect you'd know).

BTW: I remember a time when I had zero feedback on eBay...that happens to everyone in the beginning ;) Would 100% positive feedback on 27 sold lollipops make the seller more trustworthy? Professional scammers know how to create immaculate feedback lists, it's not that difficult...

4. We at SteinbergerWorld had been discussing this auction; careful inspection of the bridge led the moderater there to pull the "6-string bass prototype" picture from the site, as it's construction more readily points to a not-a-prototype modification.

Regardless, it's a 6-string Steinberger bass.

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    What do you think the string spacing is on that thing... 12mm?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is what I was wondering. Steinberger fivers have notoriously narrow spacing as it is. To add another string would make it almost guitarlike.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

First off, there ARE a lot of scams on ebay. Perhaps this isn't one of them. However, I haven't heard of an '80s Steinberger that didn't have a serial number that wasn't a prototype. The seller claims the bass was sent back to be "retrofitted." Normally, a lack of serial number is a potential problem. Perhaps not in this case -- I don't know. I just thought people here would be interested in a very unusual instrument.

Secondly, I was quite aware of the fact that it's not all-graphite -- that's why I wrote that it wasn't -- and the only Steinies that interest me in terms of purchasing one are the all-graphite ones, because of their construction and tone. I'm hoping one day to snag an XL-5W "wide 5" if one ever shows up and I have the cash.

Thirdly, zero feedback isn't necessarily a problem. But selling a potentially high value "one of a kind" bass with no serial number AND zero feedback could easily add up to something being a little fishy. If I were a potential buyer, I'd be a little nervous about buying this bass unless it were from a reputable dealer who had inspected it.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Maybe not. What's confusing me is this:

[​IMG]

Why would Steinberger need to license their own design?

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That struck me as odd too.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The "Spirit" (Korean) models like MusicYo used to sell had parts like this. Looks to me like it's been mod'd for 6 strings, as the string spacing looks uneven at the ball-end. Could be an optical as well. Dunno, but that spacing is visibly too tight for me anyway, even if I were looking for such a bass.