Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this really 1961 Fender P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Jan 6, 2002.

1. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i dont know what year that bass is. but it does look sweet! to bad it has a reserve on it :(

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The case is not from '61.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    According to the serial number, it is a 76-77.
    Doc

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    No, it's not. Going by the serial number, it's from 1975/6. Also, the logo on the headstock indicates this. And a 1961 Precision would have a rosewood fretboard. And I'd imagine a Fender expert could probably pick out a dozen more things!

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The stamped 'F' on the neck plate certainly isn't vintage. Of course, that's fairly easy to replace, and like bassaussie says, the fingerboard would be rosewood... An easy way to find out, (neck related, anyway), would be to request pictures of the date stamp on the end of the neck as well as a photo of the neck pocket.

-robert

6. how can you tell the year of a fender bass?

7. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    The Black pickguard I think Fender Started using in 74 or 75 and In 76 or 77 they Moved the ser # to the headstock the ser # on this bass is close to
    the one I had which was a 75 . So that is my Guess
    that this is a 75 P Bass in very nice shape but it is not worth 1500.00

8. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I stand corrected early 76

9. Defnitely 3,000,000% not a 61. 76 looks right.

10. I thought 70's and 80's Fender, the quality went down, but how come they still commanded high price when none of the basses were build by Leo Fender himself?

For 1500 I'd get the Pedulla Thunderbass posted in the Bass for Sale section of Talkbass.

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Didn't this exact same bass go on ebay not too long ago, listed as a 1962?
    Well, I took the liberty of e-mailing the seller, pointing out that in no way is that a 1961 Precision.
    The last time, enough people pointed out the discrepencies, that the auction was cancelled early.
    Won't this person ever learn? (Assuming it is the same?)

12. yeah, I remember that, and the thread on this forum about it - he seems to think that bass is getting older- maybe he'll try selling it as a 51' next time :rolleyes:

13. If it's a real 61, it would cost around 3000 to 5000, especially in that condition.

Noticed how he said that he is not sure and could not confirm that it's a 61. Stay away, something fishy. And that bit about research is a joke.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

See that little "hook" at the top of the "F" of "Fender"??? That's what tips me off that it's not the real deal. Fender "F's" didn't have that hook through 1965. The ends of the "F's" should be smoothly rounded.

He doesn't have the neck removed to show what number is stamped on the end of it either. That's important.

Those "F" chrome plates that secure the neck to the body aren't conclusive proof by any means. They are a considerable number of counterfeits slapped on newer impostors.

Being a sunburst finish, some cracks/checking in the nitrocellulose finish would make it more convincing.

er....what I mean to say is, "NO, I think it's a phony."

15. Couple of other points, Rickbass..

Forget about the style of the letter, Fender basses didn't even have an F on the neckplate till 1965.

There were still some maple necks, I believe, at the beginning of 1960, but then none until the end of the 60s.

It has a seventies logo, pickguard, serial number...

I imagine that all the internet "research" the guy did was done on nudeteens.com and similar sites...he certainly hasn't been to any bass sites. I mean there is not ONE feature of the bass which is a spotting feature for 1961!

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    BTW PreCBS machine heads had a rivet where the stem meets the ears.

Fender used an S prefix on the serial number from about 76 my guess is that this bass is a 74-75.

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Andy - Good call! I neglected to even note that about the neckplate. I was focusing on the number....sorry, I had a 5-hr. rehearsal for tonight's gig before that post and the holiday gigs have been relentless (scewz, me!).

But, you think as a pre-CBS owner, I would have noticed that "F" as I jumped from the eBay pic back to Talkbass. (Mea culpa!)

Anyway, by either of our means, we know this bass is totally bogus `61.

18. another thing- on 50's and 50's P basses wasn't the thumbrest/finger rest below the strings, and not above (as on 70's and 80's models) as on this bass?
    (and also there's an extra screw in the middle of the pickguard between the p/up and neck 70's style)