Is this really a CT??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, May 19, 2004.

1. If this is a real CT, I'm baffled as to it's current bid price and just what the attraction is to this instrument:

Can some of you Thompson afficianados help explain this.

Comparing this to CT's that I've seen and played from the catalog, this bass has absolutely nothing in common with those instruments. Of course, tone is everything but an ebay auction doesn't allow the luxury of hearing the goods. But judging from what is visible, I couldn't honestly consider it. It's a lazy body design that has a poorly aligned front pup placement. The wood, while certainly figured, is only a "best match" combination with an offset seam. That just looks slack in my book. The CT's I've seen just seem to have better attention to detail and execution.

Yeah, I know he's an icon and all... :bag:
  2. The headstock is the only thing that looks right about that bass, I agree.
    I would have never imagined Carl doing a bolt-on, but I could be wrong. :)
  3. It's legit.

And yes Carl does do the non scroll thing, and bolt on every once in a while, it's not too rare.
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    IT looks like teh fake! :eyebrow:
    I LLLLLLLOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE CT BASSES! My dream is to own one. I've never seen one i disliked but this is hideous. It looks like soemthign out of Peavey or some non-CT company, even the headstock doesnt look all that right to me.. you can try checking on the to see but like UH! IT CANT BE! He usually doesnt use P pickups, they are USUALLY wood covered (but there are enough that aren't) the knobs usually aren't in a straight line, the output thingy is USUALLY on the front, and the wood the shape... it just doesn't look right! I could be wrong though... I bet I am too but... IT JUST CANT BE A CT' PLEASE GAWD DONT LET IT BE A CT! :crying: :bag:
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i would say its real, check the site out and theres tons of basses that dont look like conventinal scroll bass, ass weve seen claypool play.

also ive heard that he never makes a copy of a bass he's made already
  6. I'm not questioning the style per se. Sure, the scroll bass is what's become Carl's signature. But those basses (the ones I've seen in person and pics of) show a different level of attention IMO.

Besides, how does one explain that terrible P pickup spacing?
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The only Carl Thompson bass I've played was Dave Siff's 78 4 string.

I really wasn't terribly impressed by what I saw. It was a very light bass, and the body shape was cool, but the neck was a baseball bat and couldn't get decent action without serious fretbuzz--and this was AFTER Dave sent it to Carl for a complete fretjob and overhaul (which was horribly overpriced from the work I saw, IMHO).

I'd love to play a more recent vintage of CT, or one that had all of the fancy woods (Dave's was all mahogany), but they certainly don't have any kind of "holy grail" status with me. And, for the money, I can think of 20 other basses that would be worth the asking price before the CTs.

I don't know what to make of the CT in the auction. That looks like a pretty tame CT. For what he charges, I can't imagine the bass was worth it when purchased from him, but then, again, I'm not the be all/end all of taste, either. So, it was obviously worth it to someone. Granted, it is on eBay now, too...) :eyebrow:
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    From what I know about Carl, he fancied set neck construction.
  9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Could have sworn Les Claypool has one or two bolt on CT's...
  10. The neck and headstock on that one look legit, but the body looks like a Fodera. I've looked through all the pics of basses at the CT site, and I have never seen a neck joint like that, either.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've played a few ct's including daves, and also a few others at various namm shows, including a 6 string that looked awfully close to one of les's that was at a string booth. my experience mirrors jason's - i'm not really that impressed. they're usually very unique looking, but they're a bit too "precious" for my tastes - i need something that can take a licking and keep on ticking, in tune to boot. :eyebrow:
  12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Is it just me or is the "P" pickup poorly aligned?? :meh:
  13. Plus one active and one passive pickup?
  14. That's what I been saying!!

This is a 96 model so that puts this instrument in a time that Thompson had been building for over 20 years. That misaligned pup is something that happens to rookies, not high end, respected builders with that amount of experience.

Or so I thought. :meh:
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Eeeek!! A 96 model?? I definitely stay away and advise anyone I knew who was interested to do the same!!