Is this really all it takes?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bench, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany

do you really just need a wood box, put the speaker(s) in and close the whole thing with a little hole for the jack??

dbase likes this.
  2. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Well yes, provided you're not too bothered about the end result. That's I guess a basic 1960 style bass rig before all this science came in. It will certainly make noise. Great sound, however, may be beyond it.

3. Most likely there are other videos that precede this one. (Or at least there should be.)
    Those would be the ones that will explain how it is possible for it to look so easy in this video.

I love videos that skip all the hard stuff. I really love this one.

Ekulati, The_Lucek, mikeyjm2 and 3 others like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Bass cabs, more than guitar, are the result of a lot of math. That's why you can build a sub 40 pound cab that can replace a larger 100 pound cab, without loss of tone or volume.

5. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    The guy who made that video is clueless. He doesn't even know that the JBL D130 is a guitar driver. In fairness that's how cabs were made by the likes of Fender and Marshall back in the 1960s, but only because they didn't know any better. The real science of speaker building didn't come along until Neville Thiele revealed his science to the world in general in 1971, and the electric bass speaker industry didn't take advantage of his groundbreaking work much before 1980.

6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    The first twenty years of bass cabs they were just guitar cabs with beefier speakers. A lot of them were really terrible. Also bear in mind, a lot of the GREAT rock we listen to now was recorded with them.
    Without even using science, I can tell you this one will have a flexy baffle board.

Raw N Low, bench, MrLenny1 and 4 others like this.
  7. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Recorded with a mic placed a foot or less in front of the speaker. It's not that speakers of the day couldn't sound good, they just couldn't sound good at high volume.

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ I wasn't defending bad cabinets, it was one of those 'ironic' things. It's sorta like every good drummer now is going to say that single headed drums sound like sh*t, yet every album on their ipod was recorded with them.

9. When I was a young bass noob, some guy sold me a 2x12 “bass” cab.
    It worked fine for what I did back in the stone ages. (Or was that the stoned ages.)
    Years later I opened the cab up to find it had a pair of Jensen guitar speakers in it.

The one percent more that I know now seems like the entire set of Encyclopaedia Audio, compared to what I knew then. That tells you how clueless I was and how much more I have to learn.

Winoman and byacey like this.
  10. Must be why bass players have to be smarter? :thumbsup:

Das Jugghead, PWRL and kobass like this.
  11. Aren’t Pine boxes traditionally reserved for the dead?

12. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Exactly what I was saying to myself. Those are guitar speakers. The 140's were for bass. The cab needs to be tuned to the speakers. I can only guess on how bad this system sounds.....

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  13. Lay some science on me
    Ooh in the name of cabs
    Lay some science on me
    :laugh:

RobTheRiot, jamro217 and mikewalker like this.
  14. Yeah but it looks nice! ;)
    As a wise man once said: “Always make your projects look nice. That way, if they don’t work at least they look nice.” :wacky:

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If you don’t push it too hard, it probably sounds good.

patrickj likes this.
  16. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    For a guitar cab, yes. Pretty much. Heck you don't even need the back

bench likes this.
  17. mantaraya

mantaraya

Apr 10, 2007
    If would be that simple don't you think there will be hundreds of companies makings Bergantinos, Epifanis, Schoreder, Bag Ends, EA budget equal versions of $200? Its logic. If you can make something for much much less and equally you will run busines and outrun competitors..

18. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    :roflmao:
    Love that, and it is the appropriate response to so many questions.

FenderB likes this.
  19. That's really how it goes; it's like a can of worms: The more you learn and self-educate yourself, you begin to realize how little you really know. Then there are the types that simply learn a few buzz words in an attempt to appear more intelligent than what they really are; the more they talk, the more they reveal their ignorance.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  20. Sort of akin to Red Green's quote: "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021