Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This Redundant?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've got some spec's in for quote on a custom and I have always been plugging in my current basses through a Tech 21 Bass Driver. Now, I'm rethinking some things.

Would including high end onboards, like a Bartolini, and using a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver be redundant or would the high end onboard preamp really be an improvement even with the Driver?

Thanks in advance.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it could be redundantly repetitive (sorry:p) or give you more options...it depends on the way you use it.

I actually use 3 preamps: the onboard preamp in my Spector (Haz Lab), the built-in preamp in my EBS Fafner, AND the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI. First and foremost, the Bass Driver is capable of overloading your amp's preamp all by itself. It's easy to adjust. I keep the levels on my Bass Driver set so that doesn't happen.

Then, I pretty much have one tone built into the eq section of my Fafner. That I rarely touch. Then, I have another eq on my bass, which I pretty much only adjust a little according to the pickup configuration I'm using. For example, if I'm using more of the bridge pickup, I'll back off on the treble a bit. Lastly, I set the Bass Driver with two main tones in mind. Since my bass tends to be very mid-rangy, and my amp's eq is set to enhance that, I sometimes like to get a very scooped midrange tone. Now, I can do so with just a foot!;)

Another tone I like to set in the Bass Driver is the overdrive...:D

So, to answer your question, NO...I don't think it's overkill, unless you're planning on duplicating the same frequency settings on your existing high end preamp.

3. Its just more stuff to play with! :D

4. rickbass

heavy - sorry I wasn't clearer. It's the custom I was spec'ing it out for, not a bass I already have. There's no tone to "get back," since it will all be new.

So, I really don't want to spend $100+ extra for something that is just overkill, i.e., just duplicates what is already available.

5. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I guess I've gone the other way regarding preamps.

I've been through several brands of onboards (including one I designed myself), a few pedal EQs and amps with more knobs, switches, sliders, and blinky lights than the space shuttle.

One day I tried a SansAmp Bass Driver DI to see what that did. I liked it so much that I bought it instantly. Over the next few months I found I wasn't using the onboard preamp/EQ I had (Bartolini) or the amp EQ. I was keeping them in the flat position.

I then tried bypassing the preamp on my amp and found I liked the tone. Long story short, the basses I play now have passive pickups, no preamp (some have no volume or tone controls either), and I run into the SansAmp and then a power amp.

The only knobs I have in my rig at all are the SansAmp and the power amp volume.

6. rickbass

Rumblin' - Now that's something I've not seen before! Talk about a pure tone. They must be custom.

7. For a while in the early 80s I was using a Gibson RD Standard where I by-passed the tone control, and replaced the volume pots with on/off toggles. It had a pretty cool sound.

8. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I guess you could say that, I cobbled them together myself. :)

9. timinator

timinator

May 8, 2005
    I'd keep the tech 21 if your bass is passive and sounds good, but if it's already active and you want to upgrade the guts for some wider ranges, go nuts. Keep in mind that you'll get different tone (maybe better or worse) from a change in pickups.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Four *years* and one week? My goodness. That's a lot of digging.

11. thanks a lot, I thought Rickbass was back somehow and my heart skipped a beat.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You may want to check the dates of threads before you post - Rick passed away last year.

Closed.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

RIP, Rick.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.