1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Ricenbacker 5-string legit? It's listed on Ebay.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Looks identical to my old 1999 4003S5. It's definately legit.

TD

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I like how it's referred to as "Ricenbacker" in the thread title as it may be appropriate. :p

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
  4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'm no expert, but I'm not convinced.

5. Did RICKENBACKER even make a 5 string in '82?

6. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The headstock is different than any 4003s5 I have ever seen.
    !Bq6OSUg!mk~$(KGrHqEOKkMEuZNDw-FnBL)cz4I8(g~~_3.

The tailpiece looks correct but the mute and bridge don't look right.
    !BrHdhYQCGk~$(KGrHqMOKicEu(95St1bBLyUzqzoMw~~_3.

I have never seen a 4003s5 with binding on the neck, and the body is not quite shaped correct for a 4003s.
    !BrHdgmQCGk~$(KGrHqUOKjUEu,)ERutIBLyUzjC2wg~~_3.

The jack plate looks like a Ric plate.
    !BrHdf8gBWk~$(KGrHqEOKkUEuZvVe,q6BLyUzbq2!w~~_3.

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Funny how the K has a notch out of the back of it, so it looks like an X. At first I thought it said "Ricx-o-sound".

8. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Good question. I thought they started about 85 or 86.

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    There weren't many NON Boutique 5 strings in 1982.... And i'm pretty sure Ric's weren't out yet. (5 strings that is)

10. ajish4

ajish4

Dec 19, 2003
    Stuart, FL
  11. I don't know a lot about Rics, but that just looks fishy to me.

12. Wow. This thread has taught me something that I didn't know ...that there are some 5-string Riks about. I had a couple of 4001's in the '70s but these days I stick to fives but I would love to have a genuine Rickenbacker again ...providing it has 5 strings. Can anyone please tell us more?

13. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    Maybe you should post this up on the Ric forum. If anybody would know, they would. I didn't see any fivers in their gallery for the eighties but that doesn't mean they didn't make any. Could have been a custom.

14. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
  15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'd live to try one out (Rick 5er), but the string spacing at the nut looks kinda crappy

16. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The main thing to know is that it's 5 strings on a 4-string neck. Very tight string spacing. If you're OK with that then they are quite cool! My converted Fakenbacker actually has a great low B, too--I think because of the hard maple neck-through construction, and the position of the bridge pup.

17. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    As far as I know Rickenbacker did 3 different versions of the 5 string bass. The first was a 4005/5 string. I have never seen a picture anywhere to prove one of these actually exists. The second was the 4003s5. This was essentially a 4 string 4003s adapted to take 5 strings. They are a cool bass but the narrow string spacing at the bridge made fingerstyle playing cumbersome and difficult. The 4003s5 was discontinued about 2001. The 3rd version was the 4004cii5. Very few of these were made. They were a beautiful bass with a nice wide neck and a 2 3/4" bridge string spacing. But the bass had a terrible flaw. They put on 4 string pickups from the 2000 series basses. They are dual rail humbuckers. The steel rails were 2 1/4". This meant the B and G strings were pretty much outside the effective width of the pickups magnetic field. The B and G strings were really weak sounding. The 4004cii5 was effectively a 3 string bass unless you modify the or replace the pickups. It makes me wonder didn't anyone plug these things in at the factory and do a sound check?

So these days Rickenbacker does not make a 5 string bass. A few of us Rickenbacker players who also play 5 string basses have taken to modifying the 4003 and 4004 basses into 5 string basses for their own use.

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm

Here's me playing a modified Rickenbacker 4004, 4003 and 2030
    party09-27s. m2m704-07s. jeff-2030-2.

18. Looks fairly legit to me. The components look legit, it's just that they aren't "correct" for a 4003S/5... like the Rick-O-Sound, for instance.

And as ajish4 said, looks like the headstock on a 4008.

It looks good. Just needs a good polishing to take the scratches out.

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Email the serial number and pics to Rickenbacker and they'll tell you if it is legit.