1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is this rig a good deal? good for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4BassFirst, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 4BassFirst

4BassFirst

Jul 27, 2012
    Boston
    hey all TB Forum folks - nice to be here.
    first post. but have read a bunch over the last few days and this is great knowledge bass (!) so thanks in advance for any help.

I'm in my 40's just started playing bass again after 13 years without having one to play.
    have always played guitar and have on and off for those 13 years. so, I prefer bass and now have a new Fender, but also play electric and acoustic guitar.

anyway, will start taking lessons as soon as I can. I practice when I can. I hope to get into a band within the year. and would like to play out - small clubs, parties, whatever. just for fun - I have a career and family and a lot of other things to do so this my time is limited.

that said, I'm looking for a bass amp, and really know very little. without boring you all to tears about what I think I know, I found this rig on Craigslist and am wondering what fellow players might think: is it worth the price? and is it too much for my needs?

any thoughts are much appreciated, and thanks again!

so here's the set up:
    $500 GK 1001 RBII Bass Head 700 watts, built in DI, with GK carrying case (~8 years old and owner says never ever had a problem)

$350 each 2 GK 410 MBE cabinets 8 ohms, 800Watts and 45lbs each. These are sealed cabinets and are about as small and light as possible for a 4X10 cabinet. Neo speakers keep the weight down. (~1 year old)

2 Speakon speaker cables

Haven't checked them out yet, but $$ was a little over my budget so seller met me at $700 for the head and 1 cab.

Good Deal? No Deal? Right for me? Too Much Power? Too much to carry around seeing as I'm not even in a band yet?

Lemme have it!

2. NiteFury

NiteFury Supporting Member

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    Honestly its not a bad deal, but your better off watching the classifieds here for better deals. Pick up a genz shuttle or GK mb 500 or a markbass head and a 212 or 410 lightweight cab and youll have easy portability, vesitile tone, and enough power for any situation you mentioned.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    That's a decent deal...

Frankly, you'll only probably need the single 4x10 cab... especially in situations where bass is running through a good P.A. I still occasionally see 2 4x10s or an 8x10 in backline situations but those are getting fewer and fewer and now mostly limited to arena stages and big outdoor venues... at least around here. With the bass handling capacities of today's pro-grade P.A.'s, plus the increasing use of IEMs, the big backline "fridges" seem to be more cosmetic than anything these days.

4. 4BassFirst

4BassFirst

Jul 27, 2012
    Boston
    thanks Zitch & jaywa

@ Zitch - isn't this a pretty light ? setup? the head is 22 lbs, the cab is ~45

@ jaywa - only planning 1 cab - definitely don't need 2 right now.

btw for what it's worth - I DO NOT current;y have a practice BASS amp. I DO have a Peavy Studio Pro 50 guitar amp (I know I know, if I play the bass thru it don't turn it past 3 :) and I have the Vox headset (which is totally awesome to practice with and not bother the other peeps in the house.

so again, even though this might be a good deal, I'm concerned it might be overkill for me. trying to justify this significant purchase and I'm not even in a band yet! D'OH!

thanks...

5. 4BassFirst

4BassFirst

Jul 27, 2012
    Boston
    although in another thread or post I saw something about a head that sounded like it had decent power and was like 6 lbs - that's nice and light for sure.

6. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    It's not a bad price for what you're getting. The second 4x10 may be overkill, but then again you can always keep it in reserve for when you're playing a large room. I had a GK RB 1001II and it's a very solid and reliable bass head.

7. 4BassFirst

4BassFirst

Jul 27, 2012
    Boston
    again, only interested in the ONE cab - I don't need nor am I ready for both. that'd be overkill for me. plus I have no where to put it!

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Not much different then my rig.I'm the RB through a 15 and 2 tens.

For 8 years old, I think 7 bills is high.

View attachment 280440

9. 4BassFirst

4BassFirst

Jul 27, 2012
    Boston
    sorry for the newbie question: what's RB?

10. 4BassFirst

4BassFirst

Jul 27, 2012
    Boston
    sorry I've searched and can't find any classifieds.

is that only open to contributing ($$) members?

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    R B as in

1001rb

Thats a respectable rig and a lot $s to invest if your not in a working revenue generating band.

Is it you plan to join a gigging band?

12. NiteFury

NiteFury Supporting Member

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    22 pounds is light then you will probably have the rack case to put it in will add another 5-8#. the new class D amps are between 4-8 # alone.

for the classifieds see the link someone posted below yours.

13. 4bassfirst has not yet said what kind of music he wants to play, nor what kind of tone he is looking for. The 1001RBII thru a 410MBE will certainly put out plenty of volume, but that rig will have a fairly strong tone signature. Also, the RB will be able to overdrive a single 410 MBE pretty easily. With a little care, listening for the first signs of sonic distress, this combination will work fine.

Committing significant funds on a rig before developing a tone preference seems like placing the cart before the horse. If 4bassfirst has not yet developed a tone preference, then a decent practice amp might be a more appropriate purchase at this time. OTOH, if a tone preference is already developed, and the 1001RBII with 410MBE meets that preference, that purchase would be appropriate. So far as weight, 22-30 pounds (1001RBII in case) is not all that much if it nails his desired tone. We are way too spoiled with 2-4 pound amps.

Bob

14. Okay I'll weigh in. The 1001RB II can be had NEW for $749. G-K hold value pretty well but.....

You will not be able to use the RB II's biamp with the MBE cabs ($449 new so a decent price).
    A MB-500 is $499. new with a warranty and will drive the 410MBE very well beyond your current needs.

15. If you could get the head and a cab together for $550 or $600 I would definitely go for it. Maybe let it go for a while and try him again in a few weeks if he still has it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it will also give you some time to browse around and decide if you really want it or not, and if its worth it to you at his price. You also might find a better deal. Peavey gear normally sounds good and can get decently loud and can be found pretty cheap. The only drawback is that it can be kind of heavy.

16. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    That is a nice rig but better deals can be had. I suggest that you look for a 100 watt combo amp, find a band, figure out the tone you want, then shop for the big rig.