Is this right? Fender CIJ Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spencer, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    This bass was in new condition when I bought of ebay for 710 and a couple weeks later I go to sell it and it only got 455. Its still in new condition.. I might relist with a starting bid of 580$

2. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    why buy something just to sell it right away in a couple of weeks. I understand if you didnt like it but sounds like you just want to make money. Yes, the CIJ jazz basses are nice and cost a bit brand new but they dont have the resale of the MIA because ppeople arent used to the whole CIJ thing...There are a few people though that realize Japan is putting out a good product but they buy the basses to keep them and play them, not to buy and turn around and sell them trying to make a quick buck.

I hate seeing the same basses sold on ebay just because people want to make money. I own a CIJ Marcus Miller bass and i play the crap out of it. I dont plan on trying to make money from it.
    I need advil.

3. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I take all that back if you say you were selling it bc you didnt like it. or any other valid reason..

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I bought my Geddy for like $535 and my Jag for $575 - both brand new. So the resale value you claim seems to be not too far out of line.

5. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I will say that the CIJ stuff doesnt have the resale that most people would like but most people who buy the CIJ stuff are looking for a deal on an instrument thats going to be played ....not sold....Sorry for the ranting, I just hate what happens on Ebay (people trying to make quick money off the Fender Name)

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Yeah, pretty much right on. I buy the CIJ stuff because the workmanship is fabulous, I can afford it, and I can PLAY it forever. They are a great value - not cheap, per se, but for under $1,000 you get a player that's good enough for just about anyone (providing they like the Fender stuff to start with).

7. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Not to doubt your intentions, but maybe your bidders wondered why you were selling it so quickly after buying it.

To me, especially on ebay, somebody selling something they bought recently throws up a red flag. "Not as good as I thought it would be for the price" comes to mind. When someone pays "X" amt of money for something, and sells it for a similar price, it makes me wonder.

"Wasn't worth it to them, why would it be worth it for me"?

I never bid on anything that was recently bought by the seller unless it is a ridiculously absurd low price.

Just a thought.

8. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    No I wasn't looking to make money and the bass was actually sold as used when I got it but it WAS in new condition and still is. Anyway im not taking 450 for it lowest I will go is 600$ Otherwise its just not worth it to me. Its a great bass just miss my good old stingray and I wanted to buy a SR5 too just because Im still looking for the "one". Anyways I sent the a refund and will be looking to resell somewheres else.

9. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Good luck then. Like I said, that's more than I paid for my brand new Jag and Geddy. Who knows? Maybe you'll get it. Good luck!

10. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I was just sick of seeing the same Jazz basses on ebay time and time again to make quick money. Sorry to rant...Hope you find the right bass.

11. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    So...am I reading this correctly? You sold it on eBay without a minimum (or a low minimum), some bloke won it for $450 (which seems very fair to me), and then you give him his money back and say 'You can't have it'?
    If that's how it went down, that was pretty shady of you. Maybe I am not understanding it though. You don't owe me an explanation, but wow, pretty back-handed IF that's how it happened.

12. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Seems not quite right.

1 - CIJ basses are good quality For $710 you should be able to find a used MIA Jazz.

2 - $455 may be a little low for a used CIJ Jazz, but it's in the ballpark.

3 - The bass sold on Ebay but your not honoring the sale?

4 - Is this a veiled "bass for sale" post?

13. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    perhaps he put a reserve on it and 455$ was the highest bid but didnt meet the reserve?

14. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

15. Adding the "buy it now" option is like $0.25 more, why don't you do it that way? and wait a few days to see if someone wants to buy it for the price you think is right.

16. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    eep, prepare to be in a world of hurt from Ebay for not honoring a sale!

17. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Not cool, if you didn't honor the sale. Not ethical at all, imho. Dude, really ... if the guy won the auction, you owe him the bass. If you wanted to guarantee yourself a higher price, you should have started the bids higher or used a reserve.

As far as the price, I think you paid way too much in the first place. My CIJ '62 reissue P-bass cost my $459 on eBay. .. brand new from Japan. I wouldn't pay more than that price range. As someone else said, for $710, you can get used MIA Fenders.

Anyway, good luck to you, and I hope you decide to do what's right.

Regards,
    Liam

18. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    Yea, I'm the guy who "won" the auction on Ebay...
    Spencer told me that he "sold" it to someone before the end of auction, which he obviously did NOT, according to his own post.

Sure is cool when someone just lies to cover their ass, huh?
    He shoulda set a reserve...
    Beware of dealing with this guy.
    I'm gonna pursue any & all legal action to get the bass.

pc

19. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh burned spencer,that really sucks man, it stinks that there are people like that on ebay..

20. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Youch......

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.