Is this right? Fender CIJ Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spencer, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Even worse when they're on TB.

2. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    Yep...
    He "kindly" refunded my Paypal money, but it's gonna take 3-4 days to get my money back. So, now my money's tied up.
    Plus I passed on a good deal on another bass... It's gone, now.
    And on top of THAT, I bought a hard case for Spencer's bass online last night, which cost me $100...

What a weenie.

;^(
    pc

3. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I would pursue any legal action to get him to honor that sale if it went all the way through (and hes feeding you some lie but got caught here)...Thats a decent price

4. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    Yea, I am...
    And yea, he lied. What's funny is that he busted himself before all...

He can make it right, & step up. Too bad he paid too much for the bass to begin with (assuming THAT'S not a lie, too) but nobody made him put it on Ebay to auction without a reserve.

Anyway, I'm a passive guy, but this is a pisser & I'm gonna drop the hammer to whatever extent I can.
    Again, all he needs to do is make it right & honor the auction contract.

pc

5. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Im glad to hear that...keep us updated.

6. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    Will do...

;^)
    pc

7. thats really sh*tty man, hope justice gets served.

8. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    U a Duff fan?
    He's a friend of mine, although I haven't seen him in a few years... Since about the time VR took off.
    We wrote a bit together, & one of my bands toured a bit with Neurotic Outsider (Duff, Matt Sorum, Steve Jones from Sex Pistols & John Taylor from Duran Duran, & sometimes Billy Idol). Duff actually played guitar in that band. All cool guys. It was just them & us, for a few dates.
    I knew Duff before that, though. We used to fish together when we were neighbors here in the SoCal mountains. He liked my band, United State ( www.unitedstaterocks.com ), so we did some stuff together.

He sold his place, up her, so we don't see each other anymor. He's mostly in Seattle, & on the road, although I think he still has his place in Hollywood. A coo house at the top of Mulholland with a studio built into it.

Anyway, he's a very cool, & genuine guy.

;^)
    pc

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey Papa Coyote,

Glad to have you on the board, by the way. Sorry it took a bum eBay deal to get you here, but I hope you hang around some! And best of luck getting this issue resolved.

All the best,
    Liam

10. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    Cool board. I'll be around.
    For the record, I'm not a "real" bass player. I play what I write & record some of my own stuff. I'm really a drummer. Although i did play a couple trax on my bands album when my bass player was out of town. They turned out to be "keepers", too. lol...

;^)
    pc

11. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Not cool, not cool at all. :scowl:

Just because he overpaid, you shouldn't have to suffer. This is why I research everything I buy or sell, to know the "going rate". Apparently he didn't do this, and you got caught up in the middle. Ebay could be a good place, but for this kind of crap. Wouldn't have been so bad if he would have come clean at first, like, 'I forgot to put a reserve on it', or something like that, but lying to you about the whole thing, that's just not right. You know, you may be better off not getting this bass, with the lies already told, this bass may very well NOT be as described. I'd be very wary of it.

Nice catch, oldrocker.

Good luck, Papa Coyote. One thing about persuing action against this guy is ebay likes to protect their sellers, that's who they make their money from. They do state that their auctions are 'legal binding contracts', or some other legal mumbo jumbo. You just have to be persistant. Just make sure Paypal doesn't skim their 3% fee off of your refund. If they do, he needs to refund the price + the 3%.
    He should be kicking you back more anyways for your trouble.

Let us know how it goes.

12. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Looking at this, the reason it was bid so low to me is the feedback. After the negative for the non-sale, it's at 93.3% positive, which is downright abysmal for ebay.

I know that it's only after the fact, but looking at the other feedback there's a couple of comments on slow shipping and at the bottom there's: "Decided he didn't want the bass. Did email though, right away." If I'm a buyer, I'm going to look at that and question whether I want to do business with someone who might change their mind. In this case, the buyers who were thinking that were very wise.

Sorry to sound like such a hardass, but an ebay bid or listing is a legal contract to purchase or sell an item at the stated price. You -can't- change your mind. A seller goes through all of the trouble of photographing, writing a description, paying listing fees, and in return they get nothing and have to wait another 5 days for the item to be bid up.

Just as bad, imagine going through the deliberation with all of the uncertainty of buying an expensive item on ebay, transferring money into your checking acount, finally deciding to pull the trigger and then...no bass for you. Now imagine stuff like this happening to you 5 times in a row. This is my situation; I haven't had a smooth ebay transaction in the past 7-8 I've done, which is why I'm stopping for a while. Do you see why people get upset?

Again, you can't 'change your mind' about an item on ebay. This should be a lesson; when people look at your feedback and see you changed your mind -twice- on big dollar items, they're probably going to avoid future transactions.

If you want to negotiate a price, ebay has one tool: the reserve. If you need more negotiation than that, do craigslist or TB. As far as basses go, you should do those first anyway, ebay is where you go when you need to dump something quick.

13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Knowing this kind of thing can be tied up in litigation for years I would just let it go .

Plus you may end up out big $ spent on legal fees .

If he , OP , has nothing what are you gonna get ? You can't get blood out of a turnip, or money out of a rock.

Satisfaction should be knowing he busted himself right here in front of everybody.

I am not sure I would want the bass anyway now, you never know what may happen to it , damage in shipping "OOPs" etc..

This bass now has bad mojo written all over it. for me anyway

I once got $1 for a MP3 player I paid $75.00 for 6 months earlier , as much as I hated to I shipped it off . I learned my lesson about reserve pricing or higher starting bids,.

14. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Truth is I did have an offer that day from a friend for 600$ And as for threating me with legal action thats just not going to work.. Also I do feel bad for you buying a case and passing up another offer. I would offer it back to you for the same price. If you feel like you should or would still want to do business with me, then its yours. If not I have local offers but feel bad for what I did to you. So its up to you, forgive me and take the bass? Or pass it up just let me know [email protected]. Agian I'm very sorry I didn't think it was that much of a deal.

15. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    Spencer...
    The legal action was not a "threat", but merely a course of needed action.
    I only want you to honor the contract/auction...

If that's what you propose, then all will be fine.
    I'll also retract the neg feedback, praise you among your peers. ;)

16. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Thats for being so kind. I guess when I'm selling on eBay I forget to think thats actually people on the other side, and they have feelings too. Yea that sounded really gay, but I'm still sorry and as much as I hate selling it for that little because I do love the bass it is an awesome bass, but I will do whats right. Sorry about the delay of you receiving your bass.

17. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    Indiana Mike...

He had 100% feedback before I left him a neg this morning. The previous deals he's done seemed to be solid enough.

I'm a forgive & forget kinda guy... Everyone makes bad decisions, now & again. It's all about bein' a stand up person when you realize you messed up.

But I'm not a guy who likes to play the fool.
    We'll see if he makes his offer good. I hope so.
    I'll post whatever develops.

;^)
    pc

18. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    OK, Spencer...

What now?

pc

19. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    For the buyer (or seller, if that's the case) once wouldn't be a big deal. Problem is that if everyone does a 'once' you get what's going on ebay now: tons and tons and tons of issues, bad feedback, and animosity.

Here's an analogy of ebay to basses. First, you're trying to buy a bass from one of a few local shops.

Day 1: You walk into the store, find a bass you like, and go to the counter. The salesperson says says whoops, the price is double. Pissed off, you go home for the day.

Day 2: You go to a different store, find a bass you like, and the salesperson says they'd rather not.

Day 3: You go to another store, buy a bass you like, and before you can even get it in the car, the neck falls clean off. Angry, you ask for a manager and they say sorry, it was on sale you get what you pay for.

Day 4: You go to yet another store, buy the bass you like, and the neck falls off of this one too. This manager will take it back, less a 20% restocking fee.

Day 5: Someone offers you $500 for a bass you have. They come over to pick it up, throws it in their car and say $300 would still be cool, right?

Day 6: Someone offers you $500 for a bass you have. You explain to them that it needs a minor crack repair. 2 months later they call you up and you get an earful cause they gigged it regularly months and the crack got bigger.

Day 7: You rest, tired of bass problems.

Day 8: You decide give it one more shot and purchase a bass. It's fine for a week until the neck falls off (you were sure it wouldn't happen this time, this one was a neck-through). The store won't take it back, and make you call the manufacturer. You spend 3 days on the phone with them. First they question if the neck is even broken, then they blame it on you, then they issue an RMA, you ship it back, get no response for a month, they say you have an invalid RMA number, the bass is gone for good.

You go back to the shop you bought it for, demand satisfaction, threaten the better business bureau, and finally get down on your knees in front of the manager and beg for some help. He pees in your mouth.

This is what ebay can be like sometimes.

20. Papa Coyote

Papa Coyote

May 20, 2007
    LOL!!!

Funny post. ;)

Actually, I buy a lot of stuff from Musicians Friend. Returns are easy, & they pay return shipping. Plus you get 45 days to try & return if needed.
    (which I HAVE on several occasions)
    As far as Ebay goes, I've only had 3 bad experiences in a few hundred transactions... Luck of the draw, I guess. What's ironic is that the other parties left me neg feedback, & they're the ones who screwed up.
    Oh well...

As far as Spencer goes, I'll give him the respect to see if he'll make good.
    Time will tell, & so will I as things develop.

;^)
    pc

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.