Is this right?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dragen, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I saw a program on the TV last Saturday and there were to girls who explained how to pick up girls (that is the expression, isn't it?). The two first rules were: 1. put on something nice and 2. Say something nice. Then they went on with saying that they were incredibly tired of hearing about your band and that that was no way to approach girls. And then they said (actual quote): "We don't care if you play bass, we wouldn't care if had been playing it for ten years and your the best f***ing bassist in the world. We just don't care!!"

That certainly rocks my world.....
  2. And this surprises you? The only two things a girl wants to hear is "Hi,I just made my first million, can I buy you a drink?, and
    "Yes, I like the Backstreet Boys,too!" :rolleyes:
  3. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    Hehe....I guess that's right, though I certainly hope there's at least one girl in this boyband-haunted world who can tell the difference between a bass and guitar. It would be nice if she realised that the bass is the superior instrument,too.

Now, that would rock my world.......
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So you need TV programmes to tell you this kind of thing...Hmmm.
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I usually start the conversation by licking my eyebrow.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, consider the source. any personal advice from tv is going to be suspect at best.

oh, and my woman was pretty impressed with my bass playing ability. :D i guess it depends on who you're talking to. for me, most girls aren't worth my breath. :rolleyes:
  7. hehe, that'll spark their interest =)

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The advice given by the two girls would serve to pick up only those two girls. Grab any two others off the street and you'll get other advice. Frankly those two sound rather shallow, interested in only the most superficial qualities a man can offer. Also, they must prefer keyboardests. Throw them back in the water. They aren't ready for a serious relationship.

Jason Oldsted
  9. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    Amen, JasonOldsted,

Even when I was a teenager, I had higher standards than that. Deep musical interest/talent/skill, was a definite "plus" to me. Apparently, maintaining their own (and not necessarily respective) "image" is the primary interest of the girls cited in the show. Bah!

Heh...some friends of mine have a band in Nashville and they once had a fellow playing keyboards. He was a <a href="">Nelson brother</a>-look-alike with an ego larger than the Bible Belt. He didn't last very long. What he lacked in skill, he made up for in self-centeredness. Then again, I'm not so sure those girls would be happy with a keyboard-player...they wouldn't have enough time to talk about themselves!

[Disclaimer: Not all keyboard-wielding musicians are this way...just most of the ones I've encountered. My husband can play keyboard and guitar -- He's evil, but the right kind of evil. ;)]
  10. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I'll never forget the first girl that I met with real musical interest and talent, I married her!

music is poetry in motion,
    an expression of emotion,
    the application of devotion.
  11. thunder child

thunder child

Feb 14, 2000
    Gotta keep it real!

Avoid plastic people and instant-just-add-water bands.....

Nothing makes my day more than a fully passionate discussion with someone else who plays bass.............
  12. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've only ever found one girl who dug me for my bassplaying (among other things).

Know what I did?

I married her!

Figured lightning wasn't going to strike twice on that one... ;)
  13. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    ..........................................................................Where the heck do you find girls who know and play bass??? I can't imagine where to look.

You guys obviously do............
  14. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Once, after a gig, I was approached by a girl who informed me that she had "a thing for bassists who use their fingers". I can't POSSIBLY think why she'd like that...
  15. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Nor can I. Perhaps you should have asked her to explain...

16. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    She DID offer to show me. ;)
  17. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Dragen, that is NOT how to pick up women. They don't give a royal rip if you have something nice to say. They don't even care if you are nice period. And apparantly good looking isn't even too important to alot of girls anymore. Case in point:
    As if I don't have enough mullet stories for my friends here at talkbass forums;
    My band opened up for RATT and Tesla this summer in town at an outdoor ampitheater. After we played, and the rest of the openers, we had to go into the crowd for the rest of the show (even though when RATT played I got back there again). Anyway, I met this very, very attractive girl. She was about 24 or 25, right at my age. She wasn't dressed trashy like alot of the women there either. We talked backstage for a while after I played, not talking too too much about the band. We talked for about 45 minutes I guess and then we met each other again in the crowd when Tesla came on. We sat together and ate (a local restraunt was selling hamburgers, etc.). We were having a good time. Then when I got up, some disgusting, drunken, loud, ignorant, profanity using mullet walked up to her and started making nasty, sexual remarks and such. She ended up going home with the mullet.

Next story. My ex-girl left me, a perfect gentleman, for her ex-boyfriend recently. Her ex is a psychotic (yes, really, he once stalked us on a date, and once waited in her driveway for me to bring her home). He is about ugly as homemade sin. He was mean to her daughter and mean to the girl. Shes back with him.

So let me say this....
    no women is worth it anymore. they all are evil.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But then they'd put you out of a job! ;)

Really you want to find somebody who plays another instrument and then you can form a band together...nice! :)

I actually first met my partner when she advertised for musicians - she played guitar.
  19. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    A girl that I've been trying to hook up with recently asked me if I would teach her to play the guitar. I told her that I only know basic chords and that I would be better off teaching her the bass. She said her hands are too small for the bass, so she is going to buy a guitar. I asked her why she didn't ask somebody else that is better with a guitar, and she told me that she wants to be able to play along with MY bass parts. :)
  20. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    There's only one response to that, Nate: !