Is this safe? Use amp in a CD player setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass18, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    I had an idea. My nextdoor neighbour always blasts us away at night with really crappy techno. I tried some retalliation using my computer speakers, but they werent enough...
    So, I thought that if I could borrow my guitarists stand alone CD player with 1/4 inch output jack, then plug that into my b2r head, and then have it blasting through my ampeg 4x10 cabinet.

Would this be a good idea? Would it damage any of my gear? Would the sound quality be any good?

Thanks for any help in advance.
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    It will not hurt your gear (unless you clip the amp) but it will not sound good.
    Most bass amps and cabs color the sound a lot, especially brands which are famous for a distinctive tone like Ampeg. I guess it will be REALLY loud though :D

3. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i used my peavy mark 3 head's power amp input and my mp3 player, and my big 4x10 cabinet, it was REALLY LOUD and sounded VERY good.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Try coming in through your head's effects return...

May I suggest the soundtrack from "The Little Mermaid"? On loop?
  5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I do that all the time using my B2R through a Epifani 2x12.Very Loud and clear.
  6. The CD will also show you the coloration and (lack of) frequency response that may be present in your rig.

I've got an idea about using a CD to record program material from various amps into a soundcard for A/B comparison. I have a feeling the results will be quite revealing. The Demeters and SWR will probably be "HiFi" and the others will have their distinctive tones.
  7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    yeah itll be loud... but unless your rig has true crossovers in it, it will soudn horrible. the only good sound i got through my bass rig as a musical speaker was when it was set up in my dorm room, biamped, 250 watts to an 18 (200 Hz and below) and the high end going through 250 watts to a 210 cab, with everything above 7kHz going through a tweeter. that sounded sweet and loud, but it needed some really heavey adjustment with the graphic eq. wont hurt the amp though unless you clip it (very easy to do on tracks that have a heavey bass beat, like rap and techno stuff) so just be careful.
  8. yeah the Effects Return will be your best bet...

i did it with my old SWR WM12 so i could play along with the music and it didnt sound bad...
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I do this quite a bit, I run or sometimes just mic my cd player, and it doesnt harm the head or cab a bit, and sounds quite clear, you may have to tinker around with the eq on your amp for awhile to get it to sound good, but it definatly wont hurt you amp.