Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this safe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Jun 19, 2004.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have an SVT 4 pro, the owners manual says that it puts out ( while in bridge mode) 1200 watts continuous/ 1600 peak. I have a BXT 4x10 cab and it is rated at 4 ohms 600 watts rms and 1200 program. Would it be safe to bridge my SVT into this cab ? I need just a tad more than I am getting with one side of the SVT.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have an SVT 4 Pro and mono-bridge is the only way I use it but I'm using rather inefficient, high-end cabs with mine (i.e. Epifani, Bergantino and EA). Not familiar with your BXT cab but I assume it's on the efficient side? As long as you don't run the Ampeg full-out, yes, it's safe. Be careful in that configuration if you start pushing the amp towards its maximum output, however--that would probably NOT be safe! ;)

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks Boogie, I need just a little bit more than I am getting with what Ampeg claims is 490 watts rms. I bet that I am not even getting 1200 rms while in bridge mode. I have bridged the cab before with good results, however I became worried when a friend insisted that there was too much power being fed into the cab and it would burn up. By the way, the BXT's are the Vic Wooten, Steve Bailey cabs.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool, bet that rig sounds sweet. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you avoid maximum crankage! :cool: BTW, I'm gigging with my 4 Pro tonight using a Bergantino HT322. Good amp.