Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this safe??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Feb 14, 2002.

1. I have a carvin R-1000 and a 8 ohm mesa 1x15 and a 8 ohm mesa 4x10....Is everything cool if I have it in bridged mode, have both of the cabs running into the bridged/fullrange output jacks on the head, and then have it running full range? And also, is that a 4 ohm load overall? And last, is that ok on the head?

Thanks
    Graham

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I cant see any problem there! Yes, it will be a 4 ohm load!!!

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    That's within spec for that head alright.

Let us know how it works out - the Carvin heads have a reputation for being finicky with some 4 ohm bridged loads. It won't blow up, but it might shut down.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm not sure I understand the question as you posed it, but if I did understand it, you might have a problem.

As I recall from when I owned an R600, if you are in bridged mode, you MUST use ONLY the bridged speaker outputs indicated. Not the others. What Series is yours--I, II, or III? I don't remember offhand what all the back panels look like, but I believe there's only one bridged output. To use two cabs with that, you would have to daisy chain them, and yes, that would be a 4 ohm load.

The head is rated to do this, so in theory you ought to be OK. (It misbehaved for me in this setting with a 4 ohm Acme, but that doesn't mean this will be the case with all 4 ohm loads.) As chucko58 said, if there's a problem, the amp will simply let you know by shutting down. You're not gonna damage it by trying this.

5. to answer your question, I have a series III R-1000...there is one speakon jack for bridged mode, but there are 2 1/4" jacks for bridged mode, and then of course 2 1/4" jacks for stereo/biamp....I assume that the 2 8ohm cabs connected to the amp in bridged mode will make an 8 ohm load meaning I get 1000 watts, but I am just making sure. I have also heard about that thermal mode, and I am thinking about getting either a small computer tower fan and wedging it back there to draw heat away from the metal, or I might get a regular sized real powerful fan, and make some contraption to keep it behind the head and cool it.....your thoguhts on this? WOuld that work?

Thanks
    Graham

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You mean 4 ohms using both bridge mode jacks, right?

The Carvin Redline amps already have a fan built in. You shouldn't need to add another one. Just make sure it can get cool air and that's about all you can do for it.

7. Ok about the air thing...(although it is in a nice open area, I might still have a fan back there just to ensure that the air stays well circulated...) and, yes, I mean that that using 2 8 ohms cabs into the bridged jacks would make a 4 ohm load...

Man, this sucker sounds soooo amazing. I hear it and feel so humbled by the sound...I love it...