Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IS THIS SAFE???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Yes-It will be unsafe and/or will affect the sound...

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. No-It is perfectly OK, and the sound will not be compromised...

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. Ok, in my other thread entitled "My new setup...!", you'll find a discussion and pictures of my rig. The debate is, is it safe to pu that 1x15 mesa cab on it's side and put the 4x10 and head ontop... Will it be safe, and also, will it affect the sound of the cab or anything else. I ask this because the cab has a vent-style horizontal port on the bottom/front part of the cab, and turning it on it's side would cause the port to be verticle and on the side/front of the cab...

What do you know about this? Will it be safe, and will it affect the sound of the 1x15?

2. nah, perfectly fine, i'd elaborate, but there's not really any difference that could possibly be made and if there was one it is miniscule.

3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    No harm can be done in trying it, if you cant notice the diff then do it. By the way hows that carvin R1000 head, im gonna be getting one soon. Peace;)

4. The R-1000 is excellent. If you are the kinda person who can take the time and sit down with your amp and give it some EQ lovin' until it sound sthe way you want it to, then it'll be great for you. Just don't get frustrated at first if you aren't getting what you are looking for tonewise. It's in there somewhere, you just haveta search. Also, afetr adding the 1x15, the tonal capabilities for me went through the roof. Due to the fact that my band is pretty loud, I had to really boost the mids on it to get more clean volume from my 4x10, but adding the 15 gave me an extra 300 watts, more volume, and another cab to take the load off of my 4x10. Now I can boost anythign, and do anythign without worrying about how well I'll cut through...

All in all, a really poweful, and versatile amp. Oh, and you are paying about $ 0.65 per watt, so it's nice and affordable too. Let me knwo what you htink, or email me or let me know if oyu need any help or suggestions...

Peace
    Graham

5. Whoever voted that it would be unsafe etc....would you like to tell us why you voted such? I really am interested to knwo why???

6. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Thanks man, im the type of person that likes to mess around with all the little buttons and whatnot. one of the reasons im getting one is cause its so feature packed, have you played around with the noise gate yet, that is the coolest feature. my freind has the carvin 4x10 and 1x15 stack and its a beast (yours has gotta be awe inspiring to say the least:D ). I should have mine in about 8-10 weeks. Ill post a review when i get it. Peace;)
    P.S. im just curious, but how much did that rig cost minus the bass

7. I don't use the noisegate, but form what i hear, it isn't all that it's cracked up to be. You should be quite amused with the tube/ss gain knob, and having a parametric EQ along with a graphic EQ...thats real nice....helps boost several choice areas simultaneously if you are a mid-loving kinda guy...

About the rig...Minus bass, it cost me a smidge over a grand. But funny story...I ended up finding the mesa 4x10 in teh paper along with a nemesis 2x10 combo which i wanted originally. So I got both the 4x10 an dthe nemesis combo for $450 total, but I just sold the nemsis for 350. SO the mesa 4x10 cost me $100 bucks:eek: , and it's in tip top shape...That's really one of the main reasons I was able to aquire this whole deal at my budget...it's all in teh search. If i wasn't so persistent, I probably wouldn't have this setup...And I can assure you, it inspires me...:p

Enjoy the R-1000 and let me knwo what you htink when you get it...and just to restate, if you have any other questions or anythign, feel free to ask. I'm a bass dork...i like talking about gear.

Peace
    Graham

8. By the way, what kind of cab are oyu gonna be running wiht the carvin???

9. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Did you try playing with the Mid Shift button?

One of the things I don't like about the Redline amps is the mid notch "mud cutter". This is what the Mid Shift button controls. It's a pretty significant notch with an effect on 3 octaves of sound! You can switch the center frequency, but you can't disable it.

My Carvin Pro Bass 15 preamp has a fixed notch at 600 Hz. I put in a switch to bypass it. I usually leave it bypassed.

10. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying....from my understanding, engaging the mid-shift button boosts your highs and lows (or maybe it just cuts your mids) but it basically gives you a pre-fixed "scooped mids" EQ setting from my knowledge....can you explain again what you were trying to say, cuz either one or both of us are confused, or we have this whole hting wrong.....And how do you switch teh center frequency???

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Redline amps have a mid notch filter built in. It doesn't boost anything; it only cuts a wide range of mid frequencies on either side of the center frequency. You cannot turn off this filter. You can only change the center frequency between two fixed settings with the "Mid Shift" switch.

I guess you could say it's a pre-fixed "scooped mids" EQ. Its purpose is to keep the bass from adding to the usual midrange "mud". What happens without such a filter is all the instruments and voices in a band pile up in the mid frequencies, and all you get is a wall of indistinct sound.

A fringe benefit is that more of the amp's power can be used on the low end.

It's a useful feature, but being the control freak that I am, I want to be able to turn it off!

The "Mid Shift" button selects the center frequency of the notch: either 250 Hz or 500 Hz. I haven't played with a Redline lately, but I suspect the 500 Hz position will get you closer to the sound you're looking for.

And sorry, I don't know if that's the "in" or "out" position on the switch.

12. I gotcha...well the hting you said wa sthat it cuts the frequencies, so I may haveta look into that and just listen....cuz that'll definately be audible. But I don't have it pushed in right now, and I have the tone im looking for, so I'll hopelly be able to keep my dirty hands off of it....for the time being anyways.:rolleyes: I'll futz with it and let you know how that goes next time....
    peace
    graham

13. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    mesa boogie made both horizontal and vertical versions of their road ready and diesel 1x15 cabs. i say it's definitely safe to turn your cabinet on it's side, probably safer because it would provide a more stable base for your 4x10 and amp. i doubt you'd be able to hear a difference in tone.

nice setup by the way!

steve

14. Well, the verdict is in. The majority said it will be fine, an dthe votes that said it might compromise soudn etc, had nobody backing there votes so...

I'm gonna try to get to my drummer's house and switch that up today, and I'll take a picture and show ya how much better it looks:p

Peace
    Graham

15. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    well im looking into the 4x10 and 1x15 1000 watt stack that carvin puts out. my friend has one and i like it alot, but then again i havent played through many amps. Im gonna spend ALOT of time looking around to see if i can get a deal on some good speaker cabs and if i cant find any im gonna get the carvins. peace;)

16. Used cabs can be excellent...if you like the carvin, then go for it for sure. If you can get the R-1000 for like 650.00, then that leaves with around 600 more (if you were planning on getting the carvin stack deal...). You could get some great used cabs for that much cash. I suggest looking at your local music go round if you have one...There are tons of great things out there. Also, for 600, you could probably find a used goliath sr. or ampeg 6x10 hlf...and maybe have cash to spare. All I suggest again is searching, cuz there's tons of greta deals and stuff out there...

Peace
    Graham