1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this Schecter fake or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yogen, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    EDIT: Damn bastard already traded it for a pedalboard, I was waiting for him to give me more info and pictures and then I saw a post asking for the bass, the owner answered and said he already exchanged it for a pedalboard,

A guy is selling me this "Diamond series c-4", but the pick ups don't look anything like the ones in pictures from schecter site, also the "diamond series" stamp is strange, and the pick ups have no text on them and I haven't found an image of a schecter bass with text less pick ups.
    [​IMG]

If it is legitimate, how much would it cost new? The guy is selling it for $200 (live en Mexico and the real price is $150, but the economy impact on instruments hasn't really changed even if a few years ago those $150 were actually $200)

2. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    it's pretty hard to tell from the small photo but I'd say it looks legit. I don't know why anyone would forge a $500 Schecter when he could be making fender clones and selling them all over the place.

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    +1. The pickups may have been changed but this bass falls into the "why bother forging?" category.

4. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Never heard of someone faking a Schecter.

5. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    Well, everything is possible in Mexico lol.

The guy seems legit, he's been a long time in the facebook group (local music trading), so does it look like a $300 bass? The only reason I'd buy it is if it was a good deal.

6. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    I think it's legit, just an older version of the C-4. I don't think Schecter has that large "Diamond Series" logo anymore on their current instruments but I definitely remember it on their older models..

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Like the guy who forged pennies...why would you fake a Schecter?

8. And why would you give $300 for a bass that the seller is asking $200?

In this bad economy for basses, it's worth $200 (barely) but not $300. Too bad. I've got a Schecter way nicer than that for sale at a music store for $375 with a nice HSC and no one will touch it.:atoz:

9. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    What? No,i don't want to pay $300, I'd pay $200 for a second hand bass that is $300+, if it isn't at least $300, I don't see the point.

10. keyofnight

keyofnight

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I remember buying a used Schecter, loving it, but wondering if it were forged. Then I realized that it would be silly to forge a Schecter. In this case, I wouldn't worry about it being a forgery. Those "Diamond Series" truss rod covers are pretty common. I found a few pictures of them through a Google Image search ("Schecter C-4 Diamond Series")—the model is most likely a C-4 XXX.

Either way, you should ask the person for the serial number. It should be on the back of the headstock. That way, you can at least see how old it is. The first two numbers in the serial number should indicate the year of manufacture. You can check the "vault" on Schecter's website for product catalogues from that year and find out more.

Also, ask them for better pictures of the pickups just so you know what they are. This is all about finding out if you'll like playing (and listening to) the damned thing. (;

I think $200 is a good price, but I would probably get him to come down to $175. It's the economy! :ninja:

11. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    thank you. Is not actually $200, that was an estimate I did, but based on a not so screwed mexican coin.
    The actual price would be $150.75 (damn!!!!!!!, 4 years ago it'd have been more than 180), and he was originally selling it at $218.

I said $200 because the value and costs pretty much stay the same as when 10 mexican pesos = 1 USD, but everything is also more expensive in Mexico, after the USD-mexican peso conversion, add taxes and a higher price just for living in Mexico (sucks that we are a third world country and we get everything insanely overpriced).

I asked if it's fake because printing a fake logo is really easy and here is pretty common for people to have Fender or Gibson on their Squier or epiphone guitars, most of them do warn that is a squier with a Fender stamp.

Edit: in short words, I'd pay the $150 only if its value is $270 and up, the bass was first being sold for $218.

Edit 2: I might not make a lot of sense and can sound (read) a bit too paranoid or noob, but it would be my first bass, and I don't want to regret anything, specially an instrument

12. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Looks real to me. I have a Stiletto Deluxe-5 from the early or mid-2000s with the Schecter logo and Diamond Series stamped on the headstock in the same font.

13. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    Ok, I guess I'll go for it, anyways all Schecter basses here are $300 and up and the guy has been in the group for a long time, he's an active buyer/seller and I didn't see any complains about him.

14. who would fake a schecter?

it may just be an earlier run of the same model, something like that.

15. hhenry

hhenry

Feb 17, 2011
    NFLD, Canada
    I have a Schecter like yours. Older ones (like mine) have Duncan pickups. Newer ones have EMG Hz's. Hope this helps.

16. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    American Schecters are one of the most forged brands out there. When Schecters were only made in the US back in the day a ton of asian made forgeries flooded the market.

Nobody would forge a diamond series however, so I'm sure you're safe.

Michael

17. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    [​IMG]

18. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Never saw or even heard of a forged US Schecter.

Forging an Asian-made Schecter is laughable.

19. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I know it sounds weird today, but Schecter was a big name in the late 70s and 80s, like Boogie Bodies, when there weren't a ton of companies making Fender clones. Schecters from this time are held in very high regard by people that know. I've collected the stuff for years and most of the 80s stuff are fakes. On their old website they had a whole section on fake Schecters. I'm not saying that there are more faked Schecters than Fenders, but you really have to be careful buying an old US Schecter compared to other brands.

I'm not positive if this is correct, but I'm pretty sure that Samick was labeling their basses as Schecters for while and that's where most of the forgeries came from.

Michael

20. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    So Schecter is not a popular or highly recommended brand? Cuz here Schecter guitars are amongs the finest in the mid-high range