1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this scrap wood of any value?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by disp, Jul 27, 2012.

1. disp

disp

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver/Boulder
    So this is my garage door. Time to get it replaced. As you can see it's made of huge knot free boards. 24" x 96 x 1" to be precise. Really course grain. Don't know what kind of wood. Pine? Spruce? There's a chip board veneer adhered to the exterior.

On the off chance it's spruce these could make some great tables. They've been curing in the arid, sunny Denver climate for 50 years.

Attached Files:

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I'm guessing Douglas Fir. If you can use it, do it. You'll not find wood like that anymore.

3. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    would make a nice table.

I'd make some large picture frames if it were mine.

if you were really determined to use it in a guitar, I'd use some of it for a body cores and laminate some 1/4"-1/2" maple, myrtlewood, walnut, redwood, or other figured wood on the front and back.

or cut some 2" slices, glue then together on edge, with maybe some accent strips, and make some lap steels.

4. I could make some very nice exposed grain bass bodies outta that stuff.

You near Fort Collins? I've got relatives there and .............

5. Tele bodies... lots of em. ;)

6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    That stuff you have there is clearly junk.
    I say you have it removed, place it in a suitable vehicle, and have it driven over to my house. I could dispose of it for you.

PM for address.

:) :D

Seriously, do something with it. You'll like yourself for doing it.

wraub