1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is this series or parellel (pic included)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fender_mod, Apr 4, 2006.

1. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    im pretty sure ive wired this in paralell. we've been studying current and circuits and stuff in my college physics class and i think this is prolly parallel based on what ive learned. also my neck pup and bridge pup get drowned out by the p bass pup when its on full blast, which i rarely do anyways. but my other two pups arent as loud as they should be and i think all i need to do is wire the outputs from the selector switch to go into the p pup's pot and then out from there. will this work? my guess is the selector switch should still allow me to choose my pups the way i had before but give me the in series power that i crave.

pic 1 is my current set up and pic 2 is what i think should be done.

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Ok, first picture: Everything is in parallel. You could try balancing everything by adjusting the pickup heights.

Second image: nothing has changed. From an electrical standpoint it is equivalent to the circuit in the first image. To get your pickups in series, you need to lift the ground of one of them, and connect it to the 'hot' of the other one. You might try reading up at Guitar Nuts (http://www.guitarnuts.com/index.php). I'll leave it to you to figure out what you want and how the switching should work.

3. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    i just wanna have my middle pup on all the time and the selector switch will activate either the neck, bridge or neither. is this not possible in series? im having a tough time finding info to help put these in series. maybe i need to ask my professor next time i see him. when you say i need to connect the hot and ground wires would those be the neck and bridge pups?

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yes it's possible, but not with the switch you have. You need a true three position switch... an SP3T would be fine.

[​IMG]

This should get you started. Add volume and tone pots as you need them.