Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this shape / design taken?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Apr 20, 2005.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I've been drawing my own shape for over a month now and keep changing it all the time, finally got to perfect shape which I like.

Pictures:

http://tinypic.com/4jx1f6

http://tinypic.com/4jx10l

http://tinypic.com/4jx1jo

http://tinypic.com/4jx195

Now for some questions.

1) The main one of course is this shape taken, did I copy anyone else's design and that includes the headstock shape as well.

2) Anything you like or dislike - please critic it and don't hold anything back. Please keep in mind pictures were taken not from straight angles to avoid bad lighting, but it's 98% close to the actual shape.

3) Any Photoshop experts if you have spare time on your hands can you please make it a better drawing like an AutoCAD type stuff with white background and bold black for the drawing. I can supply exact dimensions.

Cheers

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Looks cool - body outline seems slightly Rick 4003, which is fine by me. Will any tuners have keys long enough to mount them in the centre of the headstock like that? What pickups are going in there? They look like Js only curved? What about the bridge - Badass? You may need to check the intonation with saddles set where they are in the pic!

3. First off, +1 on the rick comment.

For the tuning keys, i don't know if any have long enough pegs. You might be able to use two schaller BML's and two schaller BMFL's, but you'd have to order two sets of four. :(

4. To me, it look slike a cross between a ric and a warwick, ive got it, "The Warric."

5. I think it looks like a cross between a Ric, and a Schecter Diamond 006.

Or a brown guitars bass...the one that's half fretted.

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I like the body shape a lot, esp the sharper end points on the horns. Nice contrast to the round curves of the body. The body shape does vaguely look familiar, but maybe I'm thinking more of an amalgam of other designs moreso than an individual design in its entirety.

Not as much of a fan of the headstock myself... I'm thinking some sort of ornamentation may look good on this one. A small cutaway, for example?

Also, I think I see what you're going for with the reverse tuners, but not sure that they'll have a noticeable impact on the resultant tone. From a design standpoint, I'm not a big of the offset 2 + 2, but it is indeed unique to this design.

In all... this thing looks very cool!

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Personally, I'm a fan of "The Rickenwicker"

8. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    The body looks familiar, but good nonetheless, I like the way the pegs are arranged. And for some reason that extra nib at the end of the fretboard looks very sexy to me.

9. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Kinda reminds of a wick, but its not. Looks great. what pickups are planning to put into it? Im not familiar with ones that slim towards the middle.

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    My intend was to make something which looks similar, but not a replica and I did get inspiration from the Rick horns. Now the tuning keys is a big issue, since I'm certain I would want it 2+2 and the E string going further out, so I'm going to have to trim the headstock into a smaller shape to have enough space for it to work, or move the tuners around for a better spot. My main concert is to have original design which might resemble something but not to be a copy. About the bridge it's just a simple drawing to give the body a feel off all the components, I did forget the control knobs. Bridge will be single string so I can have narrow spacing around 17 or 17.5. Pickups I have a new set of EMG Jazz laying around, so most likely it will be inside a custom shaped pup covers. My second choice is Fender Roscoe Beck passive set up - I found out I can buy it separately thru a Fender dealer.

Cheers

11. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Reminds me of a Marleux IIRC

12. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003

Do you have a picture of it or a link?

Cheers.

13. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    yeah it's very similar.

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Jackson had a line of basses a few years ago that looked somewhat like that...basically the looked like someone left a ric in the car on a hot day and it got all squishy and soft...

15. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The bottom half is a Jazz with a smaller bottom bumb. If you're going to borrow it, give it a little more booty. The bottom half looks too skinny for the horns. Maybe one more sharp part, on the bottom against your knee?

How about a 3+1 headstock to compromise between the Ric 2+2 and the Fender 4. You even get the bonus MM shout out.

16. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    That's pretty awesome looking. You might have to settle on the standard 2+2 config evenly spaced. I love the head stock design though. I really like the Carl Thompson-ish style, very strong.

For some reason I'm thinking either an ebony fretboard with some blues here and there or birdseye maple with some exotic red(colored) wood or something. What woods were you planning on using?

-Eric.

P.S. - Can you make one for me?

17. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003

If i give it sharper edge it wil be even mroe close to the Marleaux.

Body is three piece hard Ash in the middle and Swamp Ash for the wings to get less weight. Neck is Maple with Either Pau Ferro board or I might go for Birdseye maple - still deciding. Body top will be flamed walnut it's brown with white stripes in it, same thing for the headstock to match them. It will be build with intend for small or skinny fingered hands, 34" scale, 4 string with narrow spacing, the upper horn extends to the 12 fret to avoid neck dive, also the neck is bolt on extended to the neck pick up cavity.

Cheers

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  19. The body does remind me of a rick. Though, not a fan of teh ehad stock, it looks uneven, but that's me. I love thew fret markers though. Looks like it's gonna be a good lookin bass!