1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this silly?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punkbassistfc, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Hey guys, is it ok to use two different types of strings on the same bass? I have one of the new fenders that are set up for 45-65-85-110 but I cannot find any other brands that make that combination besides fender. But the 110 taper just breaks all of the time. (I have broken them 4 times)

Is it ok to use a DR lo-rider 110 E string and ernie baal or fender 45-65-85 strings on the same bass? What would be the main problems?

Also, does anybody know where to get single Dr strings from

Cheers heaps

2. There's nothing wrong with mixing strings like that. It's just inconvenient to have to do it. But double bass players do it all the time. Why not bass guitar players? Do what works for you!

3. Whatever it is you like that gets it done. Mixing and matching strings for individual players is how Ernie Ball got started in the string business in the first place.

4. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Dec 15, 2007
    USA
    I've been playing many years & have used many different strings. If you intend on running your strings through the body buy a set of stainless "DR Long Necks" They have a taper on the E-string thats thicker than the core taper on the fender strings. They run 45-105. Their the best taper wound strings I've played. I play Rock/Hardcore/Metal/Indie http://myspace.com/chalklinebeautyrva Keep your strings consistent & your sound will also be that way. Other things that affect your string sound & breakage are intonation & set up. Are they good? Do you play with fingers or pick? Is your rig loud enough? Are you driving your strings too hard trying to be heard. Ask yourself all these questions & fix the problems. You wont break anymore strings. Oh & change them when they start to loose their luster & try your best to keep them clean. "Fast Fret" is my personal favorate.

5. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Where is the string breaking, at the bridge? You may want to have a tech look at your bridge saddles.

6. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Dec 15, 2007
    USA
    It's gota be breaking at the bridge. I gota feeling the taper is too weak for punkbassistfc's aggressive style. I doubt it's the saddles themselves. I broke many fender Super Bass Roundcore/taperwound strings in my day. They always break at the taper end over the saddle. The strings core is the only thing running over the saddle when strung thru the body. Makes for an amazing sound & great intonation but the core has no chance against aggressive playing styles. thats why I use the DR long Necks. Intonation, sustain & they are hex-core taperwound with a wrap over the tapercore so their real strong physicaly & in fundamental sound.

7. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Dec 15, 2007
    USA
    do you play in standard tuning or drop by the way?

8. hey mate,

this is exactly what is happening. They are all breaking near the bridge. I play with a pick and hit pretty hard I have been told (was told by a big producer to hit harder so the technique has stuck). I have ha the bridge checked out twice and both times the tech said that there is nothing wrong with the saddle, and that there is no sharp edges etc.

They are a great sounding string the Fenders, I really like them a lot, and for the price I honestly think you cannot get any better for my style of music.

As for tuning, we tune half a step down d#.

I will do this for a little while until I am ready to get another set up for the bass. My band travels a lot so I hardly ever have any money to fix my basses haha.

Cheers guys

9. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Dec 15, 2007
    USA
    Don't wory about getting another bass or set up. The Fenders are good strings but the DR Long Necks are better & are taperd on the E-string end for stringing through your bass body. & with the DR's you wont have to play so hard. their stainless & they are gona cut through those guitars like butter. & they wont break. I play metal with a pick tuned the same way you are, try the DR Long Necks.

10. I have a Fender 08 standard american jazz. My B E A strings are fender taperwound 125-95-85. My D and G strings are Daddario super light guage 60-40.
    I mixed because I like the pluck sound from the Daddario strings. But I also like the tension and the solid tone from the Fender B E A strings.

Some people like me are picky down to the individual strings. I don't believe there is anything wrong with that. Whatever works. Its all about personal taste.