is this smart?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Sep 11, 2003.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i may be getting the ampeg 6x10 shortly. I wanna run my ampeg b4r bridged into it. There are sum details im not sure if i understand about that though. The head says it runs 1350 watts peak and 1000 watts continous. The cab says it can handle 1200 total and 600 watts continuous. So will this work. Theroetically i guess in my mind i could be running 1350 watts into a cab that can only handle 600? That would obviously kill it. I never run my amps full out though so im thinkin this might be ok. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  2. It will be fine. Go for it! You'll have all the headroom you'll likely ever need. Be cautious with your volume and if you see any clipping back it off. I run 1400 watts RMS into a cab with a 750 watt RMS rating and don't have any problems. I run my amplifier full-out (all the way up) and use my pre-amp for volume control. I also run a comperessor to limit transient peaks in my signal. I think you'll be impressed. Running that head (bridged) into that cab should KILL!
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    you should be fine. one of the most important things to know when trying to protect speakers and amps from under or overpowered situations is the sound of a distorted signal. "also known as loudness distortion or overload distortion, occurs when a signal is recorded or played back at a level of loudness that is greater than the sound system can handle. The clipping that results from the loudness distortion creates a fuzzy, gritty sound" - from an audio book

If you don't have a distortion pedal and your getting distortion, DON'T KEEP PLAYING IT! you could end up buying 6 new expensive speakers. if you plan on using a distortion pedal make sure you know that 'safe' undistorted zone of your settings on your amp/preamp before you play with the pedal ON.
  4. You my friend are a genius.

Like itz ben sed, you will have a great deal of overhead - extra power for you louder notes, and actually better for your speaker (and ears). this will work great.

Long live Ampeg.