1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this something I should worry about? Please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist4, Apr 14, 2019 at 1:57 PM.

1. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    I noticed today thst ny beloved SH p bass has a very tiny crack or chip in it by the neck pocket, i dont know how this happened, as the bass has never been dropped or fell over. i went over the spot with my finger and it feels rough, but i cant tell if this is in the wood or finish?. Is this something i should worry about? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

SORRY for the poopy pictures.

Attached Files:

2. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    It looks like a finish run
    A coat of something puddled up from what I can see
    Duke

gebass6 and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. It's nothing at all. Remain calm and play it.

4. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    Thanks for the replies heres a few more pics from a different angle, i really hope this isnt a wood crack but it sure looks that way cos of the disconnect...ive never had a crack in any of my basses before so please excuse me as im freaking out a bit...but ill try to remain calm

Attached Files:

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Nothing to freak out about. It isn't desirable, but it is normal. That is a thin section of wood and can be under pressure from the neck. Likely, it is only a crack in the finish, but even if the wood is cracked, the bass is fine.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. I agree, just a finish crack. Nothing to worry about.

Gunga Din likes this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That is a sign of a tight neck pocket and pretty common. There are a lot worse things to happen to a bass, I wouldn't sweat it.

droskobass and jamro217 like this.
  8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It looks like the clear coat is flaking off due to stress around the neck pocket (which is normal). Usually, the result is just crack lines. It looks like the sparkle paint is still in good shape, so you may just want to touch up the clear coat that flaked off to protect the exposed paint.

johnson79 likes this.
  9. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Send it to me immediately, it's of no use to you now.

sabre79, ONYX, Vooter and 12 others like this.
  10. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Rub some dirt in it and get back out on the field kid. The rest of the team wants to win this game.

Cool paint. Can we see a picture of the whole bass?

Remyd, Diamond_Dave and kobass like this.
  11. Structurally no problem, aesthetically heart wrenching. Just keep thinking "Wow, it's like Mojo in a can!!!" Maybe that'll help. It's even more aggravating when it happens to a beautiful bass with a custom finish instead of the beater/backup. Truly sorry for you to experience this, we all have.

12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Looks like a metal flake finish. That is a thick finish and is susceptible to cracks and chips. You could try dropping a little of the thicker super glue in the crack. That would stabilize it.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b3.
    00 images2b3.
    OP: you knew that already, right? ;)

14. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Not to worry. If you want to smooth it over, brush a little super glue over it (just the chipped spot) and call it good.

15. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    chicago area
    You get charged extra for stuff like that on factory relic instrument.

16. I'm a victim of coicumstance!

[​IMG]

17. Even if the wood is cracked it's no big deal. It isn't a structural part of bass.

18. A tiny bit of thin superglue will wick into the crevice and stabilize it. If you do nothing you run the risk of looking at it one day and finding a missing chunk out of the finish. Sparkle finishes are really difficult to touch up with paint and look even close to decent (so another reason to stabilize it).
    You don’t give your location, but if the humidity is picking up due to spring arriving it’s likely due to the neck heel expanding microscopically in the pocket forcing stress onto the body.

bdplaid likes this.
  19. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    Thanks for your replies everyone...ill try the superglue ...any special kind i should get?

To answer some questions no i didnt know it was not nothing...a picture of the whole bass is my profile pic and i posted a pic of it and my american the other day in the official fender precision bass club part 8

20. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    For the person who wanted full body shots

Attached Files:

bholder, Spidey2112, Robert B and 3 others like this.