Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this Spector a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaXell, Jan 24, 2004.

1. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking here, unregistered, for the last couple weeks. I’m bass-less at present but I’m in the process of shopping for my first bass in 25 years. A local shop has a new Spector NS4-CRFM, natural finish, (neck thru, of course). She’s beautiful. It’s been in their shop for roughly 3 years, unsold. They’ve had a price of $1200 on it. The owner finally said he would take $1000 cash for it, and throw in a case.

I called Spector, they confrmed that even thought the shop was no longer an authorized dealer, they would still honor the lifetime warranty on it. They also dated it, based on my description, to be late ’98 or early ’99.

I’m having a hard time justifying that much money for what will be a ‘hobby’ bass for me. I don’t really need anything near this nice, just to play around the house. However, after playing it, nothing else comes close to it in terms of quality or sound. What do you think … is it a good deal? Should I hand over the cash and take it home?

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    A new Czech CFRM with a case for $1000 is definately a good deal. The natural stain noramlly costs an extra $100 as well (according to list). I have a CFRM 5 and love it. I'd say go for it- you won't be dissapointed. If you like teh sound and feel, then that's what's important.

3. you can usually pick up a 4 string czech spector for around 700 on ebay so put that in consideration... a good deal... no, not really, a somewhat reasonable price yeah... if i were you id watch ebay for a czech

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That depends.

That era probably had the EMG pup and preamp, which was later changed to Aguilar, and now they are on their own design preamp.

Seems like the market varies on these, the newest ones, and the Aguilar equipped ones go for the best money resale, and the EMG pre's are a little less.

Also, if you don't have to have the crown inlays, the "few years older" NS-4CRFM's can be had cheap, most of which have the dot neck. I have bought a 4 string, trans red on flame for $500 used, and a black 5'er for $700 used. Just got to look for the deals.

5. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks to the first 3 posters. A couple of notes to your comments… First, I guess I should have said “is this a fair deal?”. I didn’t expect it to be a good deal, this shop owner has never been known for giving really good deals. He would rather hang onto a piece of gear for years, than to take any kind of loss to move it out the door. I bought my Stratocaster off him last Sept., perhaps that why he’s even offering to take the $1000 for the Spector.

Second, I’m not really into buying used sight-unseen off Ebay. I’d rather pay a bit more and get to see and try out what I’m buying.

Also, about the finish on this Spector, as I said it’s a natural finish, but not sure which one. I believe it’s the gloss finish and not the oil finish. How would I tell? Does the oil finish have a gloss to it?

Also, the inlays are ‘dot’ and not the newer ‘crown’.

Finally, I’m not concerned about the older preamp in it, as Spector has told me that it can be upgraded without problem.

I always thought that if I were to spend this much on a bass, it would be a RIC. I have the same problem with that, there are no local Rickenbacker dealers in my area. I would have to order online and take my chances. I believe I read somewhere recently that the quality of new RIC’s vary quite a bit, and that it’s unwise to buy anything never than a 2 year old RIC, because it will take that long for neck problems to show up.

When I saw this Spector, I became interested because I thought it would give me a sound very close to the RIC sound, because of the neck-thru design and maple body.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts…

Jeff

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd pass, in that evernt.

7. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Tim Cole, you said... "I'd pass, in that event."

Sorry to be dense, but which point are you refering to?

Jeff

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey, you even spelled "event" right without taking the easy shot at my typo, thanks :D

I was speaking of it being the dot inlay model. Granted, it doesn't make a difference on the sound or feel of the neck, but on resale, it does. As stated before, I have bought these for $500 used, in decent condition.

9. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks for the clarification, Tim.

Based on the dot inlays, how would you date this? As I said before, I have been told it was late '98 or early '99. In your first reply you seemed to indicate that the models with dot inlays may be older. I'm not concerned about re-sale value, if I buy this Spector, it will be my only bass and a lifetime investment. Thanks.

Jeff

If anyone else has any additional input on this bass, I would love to hear it. I'm getting close to having to make a decision. I put a $25 deposit down to hold the bass while I got more info on it. I need to decide soon or else the Spector goes back on display. I don't mind loosing the $25, I just don't want to make a mistake on a $1000 purchase.

10. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I have to agree with the Ebay suggestion. This is a picture of my Euro 5, Which I bought a couple of Months Back. It's the new model with the crown inlays and the Tone Pump preamp. I bought it in Dead mint condition with a molded Spector Case, the straplocks, Keys for the Case etc. I bought this one for $1000.00 and it is easily the best Bass I own. I would give ebay another look because like the man said you can pick one up much cheaper and most of the time in mint condition. I've found that People tend to take care of high $$$ instruments.

[​IMG] :)

11. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the thing with used spectors is, unless theyve been highly abused they are gona play well. Spectors QC is A TON better than fenders or most other companys. Every spector ive ever played played like a dream, including the one i own. Your very smart for trying before you buy, but that deal is not that good in a store, and you could get a much better bass for the money on ebay. You talked about spending this much on a hobby bass, but you said you play guitar so you know what a good instrument feels like. Have u ever cheaped out on a guitar and hated playing it, thats just a waste of money. A grand on a spector is an investment becuase youll enjoy playing it and therefore want to play.

12. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Keep an eye on this auction.......

Euro 4 :hyper:

13. Even though I don't shop there I get these e-mails regularly from Musicians Friend, which I usually delete. However, sometimes I just go in and take a quick look for a deal in the "Scratch and Dent" section. This past Friday I saw a listing for a Spector USA NS-JH5CM.....marked down to $999.99. I don't know what the "blem" is but I've got the guaranteed satisfaction thing so I just made a quick decision to pull the trigger----sound like a deal to you guys?

14. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    That is a great price for a US made one. Let us know how the Blem turns out and if your happy with it.

15. Well, I wouldn't spend $1000 on a bass that you can get for cheaper. May need an upgrade.

Have you played this bass? I don't think anyone has asked this. I will not sound like a ric. It's a fairly modern tone, especially with the EMG setup.

hope that helps

16. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Dave,

Yes I have played it, numerous times. In fact it’s almost to the point I’m embarrassed to go back to the store. I’ve A, B, C’ed it with almost everything in the store. Nothing else that I have played in the $1000 price range sounds or plays as good as it does.

I have listened to music created with RIC’s for 30 years… YES, Deep Purple, Rush, etc. However, I have never been able to play a RIC, (as I said, no local dealers), so I am only guessing what the raw sound of a RIC really is. I know the Spector isn’t going to sound exactly like a RIC, but I am hoping with the maple neck and body, and neck-thru design; that it will at least be in the same general end of the spectrum.

Until 4 weeks ago I hadn’t picked up a bass in probably 25 years, so my skills are a bit rusty (to say the least). Practicing bass on my wonderful Stratocaster just doesn’t do it. It limits how much I can actually try out the basses that I am looking at.

Out of all the basses I have tried locally, the Spector is the absolute best in that $1000 range. So far, if I were to buy locally, I have been able to narrow my decision down to the Spector and a Fender Highway 1 Jazz bass at $629, if I decide I really can’t justify spending a $1000 for a play at home, hobby bass.

Thanks all…

17. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I think you've answerd your own question, if you can not justify it then don't buy it. If all you want a Bass for is to tinker with, look into one of the essex Basses that a lot of folks are gung ho about. A cheaper option by far. :meh:

18. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Tampa,

Thanks for the reply. Hehehe, your quote left out the …”IF… I can’t justify…”. I have never liked buying less than quality equipment, even for just my hobbies. When I got back into guitars last September, I knew exactly what I wanted, a Strat, and didn’t mind paying the price for it. I will most likely do the same with my bass purchase. After all, my beautiful Strat needs something of equal quality to keep her company when I’m not home.

Jeff

19. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Well, I went back to the shop this morning, armed with all the opinions I’ve gotten here. I told the shop owner that it was the opinion that he was still asking too much for this bass. It’s been hanging on his shop wall for 4 or 5 years, I was hoping he might be willing to discuss it some more. I was a ready buyer with cash in my pocket. He said basically… that’s the price, take it or leave it. So I told him to put it back on the wall.
    Out of all the basses I’ve tried in the last few weeks, this was the only one that interested me. It had the sound, feel and looks that I wanted. I’m really not interested in buying ‘sight unseen’ online and no one else local has them. So, it looks like no Spector for me. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Jeff

20. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Jeff, ultimately only you can set the value on something. If you liked the Bass that much I say go for it! Who cares about what our thoughts on the price is. If you don't get it and never end up finding a Bass you like as much as that one, your going to think about the one that got away.... Go Get it!! you will be happy you did! Just after this purchase never give that dealer another dime of your money.
    :hyper: