Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this Spector worth the money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hi guys. My local store is selling the Korean Spector NS2000/4 for around $550 usd. Is this worth it considering this bass has had rave reviews and retails slightly above $1K.

I've tried it and I love it but is this bass worth $550?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yeah bummer I can't get it online. My dad wouldnt allow me to. So that's a yes?

Thanks!

Anymore thoughts are welcomed!

4. embellisher

Why won't he let you get it online? You are saving $50, plus the sales tax you will have to pay if you buy locally. That comes to almost $100 you will save your dad, depending on your local sales tax rate.

5. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    California
    Im guessing same reason I cant get stuff offline because giving your credit card number out. :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Yeah but buying a bass that you haven't tried is a gamble. The prices are fairly close and Cone41 knows that he likes what he has tried.

Personally, buying a bass over the internet freaks me out.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yeah he doesn't like the use of credit cards online :(

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you should do what my dad does.
    he set up an account just for this kind of thing.
    he puts in only what it needs.

steve

9. They have these things called phones now.

10. embellisher

Imagine that! What will they think of next?

11. Yes - but can't the guy getting your credit card # re use this? I dunno. I ish not smrt :D

My dad is the same.. *sigh* woulda had that Grabber3 with natural finish for Christmas.. :(

:rolleyes: :(

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yes, that is possible, but I would think highly unlikely. If it were me personally, I would try to talk Dad into doing an online thing, and checking out ebay, or what not for an older Korean NS-2A. They are much better instruments than the 2000 series IMO. If he still stick with your plan, and you like that bass so well, I'd say go for it......it's his money right :D

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The neck thru NS-2000's are definilty worth $550. If your dad won't go the phone order route or on-line route, I'd buy that bass!!!!

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Being an independant retailer myself, I say support your local store! Why help Guitar Center/Musicians Friend? Where will they be when you need a quick neck tweak or have a question about your bass! That $50.00 is money well spent for the support you'll get after the sale(hopefully).
    GEEK

15. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks for the help guys..you guys have been mighty helpful...nope, can't get him to change his mind :rolleyes:

I've actually set my sights on this bass along with a Fernandes Atlas. A Fernandes Atlas retails at $699. I'm not sure if this is dumb or anything but since the bass has quite a number of fans, I was wondering what you guys think of it compared to the NS2000/4.

I should try these two basses and see for myself but the problem is my local store is a dealer but they dont happen to stock these two so if I'm gonna get them, I gotta order em..

Appreciate the feedback..Thanks!

16. Get the Spector!!!!

17. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Why not try and leverage them into lowering the price. Tell them you have found new ones on line for 499 and if they can part with it for that you will by it?? If they say no......Split the difference? Have you made them an offer for less than the tag price?? You got to learn to dicker ;)

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How does your dad feel about money orders or checks?

19. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey man, Spector rocks...do as said above and try to bargain with them to get a better deal...and the Korean Spector 2000 (Now Pro and Q) series are just fine!!!