1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this "Stingray" real? SUB? I can't tell.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadJazz, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Nope.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Hell nope.

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. SUB

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  4. Real, as in exists in the flesh.

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    So this turned up on a local list of some kind, and I figured the bass nerds on TB would be able to identify it faster than my poor eyes can. The entire listing:

"I’m selling the Ernie ball stingray bass for $150 and the fender bass amp for $50. The volume knob on the bass needs to be tightened but still works fine. Everything works normal."

The only pic:

00a0a_kySNJiUBPhh_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

The headstock looks off to me, but other than that? If that's a legit Ernie Ball (even a SUB) that's quite a good deal and I might check it out later.

CatchaCuda likes this.
  2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    My guess based on the size of the sanded off logo is an OLP which was the previous "licensed" Stingray copy. Or maybe a SUB. Probably not a terrible price either way but for sure not a USA Stingray.

Powbob, kevin wells, tindrum and 3 others like this.
  3. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    What the guy above me said. ^^^^

Im no expert (not that that's ever stopped me). ;)

Must be a SUB. Asking 150?
    Why else would they remove the sticker?
    Almost looks like you can still read the SUB still there.. or am I imagining that?

Either way, my point stands. Who would remove the proof that it was a ~$2000 bass over a ~$200 bass? :meh:
    (unless it wasn't a $2k bass at all)

That said, still worth $150 if it plays nice and aint all busted up.

YMMV

T$

mcnach and CatchaCuda like this.
  4. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    Love these kind of statements in ads. Some reason you don't just tighten the Damn thing?

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    ^^^That's what I am going to say next time I fluff a note! Dang volume knob was too loose!

Does look like OLP. Play it. Is it awesome? If so, buy it.

Neo1, George Dennis, tindrum and 4 others like this.
  6. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Everything about it screams SBMM SUB. The lettering on the headstock looks like my 2014 SUB, 9 screw guard (OLP has 7). Might be worth it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    mcnach likes this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's a SBMM SUB4. You can tell by the bridge. Not a 'Real' Stingray. Price is about right.

murphy, tindrum, Bajo Clarkko and 3 others like this.
  8. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'm curious as to your experiences with the import line of EBs. I've never played one but I did once own a Sterling and a Stringray. Both felt and played wonderfully, but the (new to me) G&L L2k stole the show, tone wise, and I have been a G&L nerd ever since, but I do miss the feel and sound of my EBs. If this is still listed by the weekend I'll inquire.

The closest thing I have for comparison is my Tribute L2K, and USA ASAT. I've had the Tribute for ten years now, and would gig again at the drop of the hat, but hot DAMN the ASAT is just on another level. Balance, slim jazz neck, perfect setup. So I would expect USA level of quality but a cheap SUB could be fun.

9. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    As others have said already, that’s a SBMM SUB Ray4 with the SUB logo sanded off the headstock. Ray4s are good basses for the money, and $150 sounds about right. Of course, they’re no match for a proper EBMM StingRay. The SBMM Ray34 gets a good deal closer to the real thing, and price/quality-wise, represents the SBMM sweet spot, IMHO.

SunByrne, BadJazz and Reedt2000 like this.
  10. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I like my SBMM sub ray4. Mine is a 2014, made in Indonesia model, same logo that ^that one should have. Being an early model, it also has a really hot pre-amp. There is a simple mod to fix it, but I haven't bothered, my pickup is just sunken really low.

It feels high enough quality to me, reminds me of my cousin's VM Squier Jazz in terms of fit and finish. The hardware feels solid.

My biggest complaint, is that the body feels rather large, and somewhat heavy for basswood. I often consider selling or refinishing mine. My honeymoon phase has passed, it's still a decent bass.

Steadfast likes this.
  11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    SUB. It's a good deal if it's straight and clean.

12. Definitely not an OLP, but also definitely not an Ernie Ball Music Man.
    It does look like a SBMM SUB, they did come in that colour for a while too. It's a decent price for a SUB.

13. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Offer 175 for pile and run away with it .......

14. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

Sure as heck looks like my SUB did before the finish lightened in the sun. $150 for it is a price worth jumping on, considering they retail for double that.

--^@

15. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Definitely SUB with a sanded off logo.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I had a very early model. Had the volume issue. I yanked the preamp and pickup out and had a full EMG system installed. Big difference but it sounded like a Stingray. Played well and wasn't too heavy. Maybe 9.5lbs. I recently sold it though.

17. Looks like a Sub Ray 4 to me. It's price right, play it before you buy is possible

18. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It's one of these:
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterli...d-1500000189304.gc?source=4WWMWXGL&storeCode=

They are $299 new.
    I've seen used ones in better shape go for the range they want, FWIW, but sounds like the fix should be easy (assuming the wires inside haven't been twirled around the spinning pot and leads are broken/breaking and that's something you couldn't fix yourself because even though it's easy work, adding labor for a tech starts changing a decent deal into a bad one if you aren't careful).