Is this Stingray worth buying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Underscore, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Underscore

Feb 8, 2005
    Hey, everybody.

I'm new around here, so if anyone's tired of answering questions, let me know gently ;) :p

I'm wanting to get a Musicman Stingray 4, and a guy I know offered to sell me his spare one for roughly 900 bux. It looks to be in great condition; has the hardshell case; has the 3 EQ (vol, bass, mid, treb). The neck is maple, which is what I wanted, but here's a dilemma. I was unaware that there were any other options for a Stingray other than maple and rosewood. Well, this one has a bird's eye maple neck with a rosewood fretboard.

So here's my three questions. First of all, is the neck going to have that snappy sound of maple, or more the sound of rosewood?

Secondly, what's the difference in maple and bird's eye maple?

And thirdly, is 900 dollars a good deal for this bass?

When I asked him how much a new one was, he thought roughly 1100. And the cheapest I've seen a Stingray 4 is 1200 on musician's friend, on up to 1800 on other sites. So I'm guessing that his has a few years on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. To answer question #3, I'd say $900 is a little on the high side for a used Stingray. I would pay no more than about $750, unless it's in extraordinarily great condition, and it's the exact color/finish you like.

Stingrays are great basses, but there always seems to be a good number of them for sale.

Others will give their opinions.

Good luck.

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Have a look on ebay. Value depends on a lot of things. I've seen Stingrays go for less.

Birds eye maple is maple that has, depending on your point of view, desirable "figure" to it, or "flaws". Some people say it causes the necks to be less stable but I really don't know.

The options for MM necks is maple or maple with rosewood fret board. You can get fretless MMs with pau ferro boards. Some people say you get a warmer tone with a rosewood fret board and a brighter tone with a maple board. I don't know about that, I've never had two basses that were identical in every aspect except the fret board.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well the necks (fingerboards ) come in maple, rosewood, and birdseye maple on the fretted ones. Maple and birdseye maple probably wont have any audible sound difference.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All Ernie Ball necks are maple. The rosewood and maple refers to the fingerboard. It will be warmer than the snappy sound you're looking for, but I find it tends to give that nice Stingray growl.

Just figure, mostly cosmetic. Supposedly birdseye maple is less stable than normal hard maple, but I've never noticed a difference

If the condition is what you say it is, it's a fair deal. Try to squeeze him for a bit, but $900 ain't too shabby. You'll see them going for less depending on condition but $700-900 is pretty standard.

No prob.
  6. Quencher

Jan 11, 2005
    Go with what feels good and makes you play your best
    God Bless Options

Music should be shared