1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this strings action too high?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ariness, Feb 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ariness

Ariness

May 9, 2015
    Hey, guys.
    I have Yamaha RBX 170 and distance between 24th fret (not the fingerboard) and strings is about 0,5 cm. I remember increasing action in the past, because of buzzing sound on some frets and now, when I became more experienced, I notice it would be a lot easier to play with lower strings action.
    I know my bass is a cheap piece of crap, but is it possibe to lower the strings?
    And small question at the end: can I use piccolo strings with this guitar without modification of a nut?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Nobody else can answer those questions but you. Try it and find out.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

5mm? Yeah that's pretty high. That's 1/5" to you inches guys.

You need to have a pro look at it or do a lot of reading up on setups to assess the true situation on your guitar.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yes you can lower the action using the adjusting screws on the barrels of the bridge. Worry about getting the action where you want it before you start messing with the strings. Only mess with one variable at a time until you are really sure of what you are doing.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    shawshank72 likes this.
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    That's twelve and a half sixty fourths. (We inch guys roll in sixty fourths!) Five millimeters at the last fret is acceptable under the E string and o.k. under the G. All dependent on how the player likes his guitar set up and how good the fret work is.

However, it's only one measurement. Probably the least important of all.

What's the string height at the twelfth fret? That's the benchmark measurement. How much relief does the neck have?

To answer the question with just one data point is like kissing someone in the dark.

JustForSport likes this.