Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this stuff any good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by prophecy, Jan 10, 2004.

1. prophecy

prophecy

Dec 26, 2003
    Earth
    I just got hold of the body of a 1992 washburn mercury series bass with Status electronics and active pickups, does anyone have any knowlege about if these are any good? If so I will order my neck. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the subject.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Every Status bass I've played sounded quite divine - I believe they call them "Hyperactive" pickups (or something like that?). Although the basses I played were carbon-graphite neck-through models, I'd definitely give'em a shot before considering replacing them, even though you've got them in a more conventional bass.

3. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    Well, first of all what is the pickups' brand, you only mentioned electronics. Well if you ment pickups were status, they can't be active because status pickups are passive as much as i know it, take a look at their site. I heard kent armstrong was the one who was building them and his pickups are also passive, and also status' online store describes the pickups as passive. And more, i own a status and its got passive pickups. As for the electronics, i have no idea, my Status is a "Shark" and has no electronics on it. For the pickups, i like them, but i couldn't compare them since i haven't tried any other pickups on my bass. As for the "status sound" i don't think its coming from the pickups. If it was, Kent Armstorng must have been as famous as Lane Poor. Statuses(not Statii..lol) just rock! I find my self Playing my bass unplugged sometimes and i just love the tone! I would say many more great things about my bass, but this post doesn't have anything to do with it, so i'll just post a review or something.
    Final: Status pickups are good, they're not active, Preamp is the thing that's active on Statuses, i have no idea about Status preamps, Status sound is good not because of the pickups but because of the necks mostly, and necks do mak e a lot of difference so you must choose which neck you must put in. Status does offer graphite replacement necks, i've heard many good things about them, if you like punch, i think they offer got lots of it (my bass's body is alder, but it has gigantic punch due to the neck) but they're more expensive than wooden necks, but i guess they're worth the extra bucks. So its up to you. The pickups are also important but don't forget its the unamplified sound that somehow gets out of some speakers anyway.
    By the way what wood is used on the body?

4. prophecy

prophecy

Dec 26, 2003
    Earth
    solid alder.
    funny, the washburn catalogue says they are both active. mines been messed with tho, i think, and an extra 9V battery is wired in, may explain it.

5. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    So are the pickups washburns? Of course they might be active, i just said status pickups aren't active.
    I think a graphite neck would do wonders on this bass. Alder's crunch and graphite's punch combined...well that is delicious.
    Doesn't answer your question at all though...
    WIf you happen to have a luthier friend, just try to get him to put a random neck to it, wind it with strings and try it, be3cause no one would know if those pickups and electronics and everything would work out fine together. It's not the sum of all parts that make the sound good, lots of people say different pickups or electronics sound different from bass to bass.
    I think an alder body is a good start, if you like the feel of it, get a neck(graphite may be!!! :p) if you don't don't do anything. You can always swap the electronics&pickups later.