Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this Tacky or Corny???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 15, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i'm about to order some parts from USA Custom for a fretless jazz bass in a tri color sunburst, no guard, and ebony board w/ maple fret lines. i love this look but, this is exactly like Jaco's setup, no?

Jaco's considered the Hendrix of bass to most bassists, so would this seem like a corny thing to do? I'm more of a guitarist and when i see right handed guys playing lefty strats turned around ala Hendrix firing off "Machine Gun", it makes me wanna puke.

am i doing roughly the same thing?

2. It kind of sounds like you're doing the same thing, but I, for one, wouldn't have a problem with it. I would think of is more like a "tribute" to Jaco's bass. Anyway, the sunburst Fender Jazz is a pretty popular look--so it's not like you'd be way out there in terms of looks.

3. i don't think that Jaco was the Hendrix of the bass at the time...The level of musicianship was much much much higher in Jaco Pastorius. I don't mean to a d*ck, but I just had to say...does anyone else agree w/ me???...hello!?...c'mon!

4. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    I love bass and i love talented ... nearly make you want to puke because theyre so amazing bassists. BUT i just can't listen to Jaco. That dosen't mean i cant respect him, wich i do. I'm just more into the un-explainable/funky bass work. wich is why les claypool and flea are my favs.

*puts in cup and mouth gaurd*

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thanks guys,

i've been a guitar player for 10 years and i've recently picked up bass about 2 months ago. i've only recently have begun on my plans for my bass and only settled on the sunburst/dark ebony look cause its similar to my '60s frankenstrat.

so, if its ok with the Talk Bass boyz, then it must be ok. thanks again doods.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I say if it is what you like, then go for it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wouldn't worry about it if i were you. people who judge you based on the color and style of instrument you play are superficial and shallow.

and yeah, like him or hate him, i'd say jaco was the coltrane of bass, instead of the hendrix of bass.

8. I don't think it's a big deal. About 1 in 100 people identify Jaco with a certain bass. All those people just happen to be here at TalkBass. If you play large shows there will maybe be one guy there who thinks, "that looks like Jaco's bass." I would'nt worry about it.