1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this the best power pop song ever?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by D M C, Dec 23, 2016.

1. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I love it but, the best ever?!?

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i liked that song since i saw it done live in '75, but it's not the best - at least, not for me.

Moosehead1966 and Max like this.
  3. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    That's a new one on me, never heard it before. I think this is a contender for the best pop song:

4. Not the best ever (to me anyway).

Why do you ask such a subjective question?

For power pop I think it's hard to top the Beatles. For a more 80s college rock style of power pop there's always the Smithereens.

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Top five, perhaps, but 'best ever' is an endless barroom argument, like 'first rock and roll song'. You got competition from The Who(the ground zero of power pop)with "I Can't Explain","The Kids Are Alright" and "Circles"...

not to mention plenty of other tunes
    Badfinger's "No Matter What"...

Big Star's "September Gurls"...

Flamin' Grooves' "Shake Some Action"...

even stuff that is also retroactively labelled "freakbeat" as well, like The Creation...

even Todd almost outdid himself with his first outing...

Yeah, The Beatles, Kinks, Small Faces, Move, Byrds, Easybeats all figure in there too.

Great classic tune and all, but, just no.

6. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average

May 2, 2010
    Wow, talk about obscure. I'm almost as old as dirt and I've never heard that song.

This is a good example of why it's difficult to pick songs to play in a cover band. There's a big difference between song we like and songs people actually heard before

47th Street, Arion and Max like this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I know it will come up, the question will be asked; it was Pete Townshend who actually came up with the phrase...

The origins of power pop date back to the early-to-mid 1960's with what Allmusic calls: "a cross between the crunching hard rock of the Who and the sweet melodicism of the Beatles and the Beach Boys, with the ringing guitars of the Byrds thrown in for good measure".[4] It was Pete Townshend, of the English rock band the Who, that coined the term "power pop" in a 1967 interview in which he said: "Power pop is what we play—what the Small Faces used to play, and the kind of pop the Beach Boys played in the days of 'Fun, Fun, Fun' which I preferred."[5][nb 1] The Small Faces are often cited[by whom?] as being among the progenitors of power pop.[7] The Who's role in the creation of power pop has been cited by singer-songwriter Eric Carmen of the Raspberries, who has said:

Pete Townshend coined the phrase to define what the Who did. For some reason, it didn't stick to the Who, but it did stick to these groups that came out in the '70s that played kind of melodic songs with crunchy guitars and some wild drumming. It just kind of stuck to us like glue, and that was okay with us because the Who were among our highest role models. We absolutely loved the Who.[8]

Several other groups of the 1960s were important in the evolution and expansion of the power pop style, such as the Hollies and the Monkees, as well as "softer" acts such as the Beau Brummels, the Cowsills and the Zombies. Other acts such as the Knickerbockers, the Easybeats and the Outsiders contributed iconic singles. Writer John Borack has noted, "It's also quite easy to draw a not-so-crooked line from garage rock to power pop."

8. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Great song. It pops up on my playlist a couple times a week.

47th Street and Max like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Define "power pop". Sabbath is not what comes to my mind.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  10. When I think of pop, Marshall Crenshaw comes to mind.

This might be a contender:

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

When I think of power pop I think of the 80's.

Max likes this.
  12. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I suggest this one that defined....uh....a

generation!

Spectrum, PsyDocHill, StayLow and 4 others like this.
  13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Using the term "best" is kind of counterintuitive when discussing any art form, which is meant to be subjective or it probably isn't art at all. But I'm all for watching the sharks circle each other while I have my coffee.

47th Street, PsyDocHill and Max like this.
  14. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

May 12, 2009
    I don't necessarily think this is the best, but it sure is/was popular and to me fits the description well.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Best of Rundgren is always on my CD player...good call. Another guilty pleasure:

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    So melodic hard rock with strong vocals, prominent harmonies, and not just distorted power chords. Not many of these songs qualify, never mind that definitions leaves out most music of the past 3 decades.

Just sayin'.

17. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Somewhere between "Cheap" and "Trick" for me!

18. This is the best "Power Pop". YMHO>

19. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Mad respect for Rundgren and the others listed here, but c'mon, this tune changed the world:

20. The extent of Todd Rundgren's, talent, versatility, breadth of genre, prolific creations, vocals, etc. etc.etc. is off the charts, unclassifiable, sinfully under appreciated and light years beyond most "influential musicians" that are generally enjoyed and referenced here. That said, "Couldn't I just tell you" is just a minor blip in the catalog of Todd's long, fruitful, hard to believe, career.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    47th Street, 2tonic, jamro217 and 9 others like this.