Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this the equivalent of a Realist?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Phil Smith, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    SDT1 Pickup

This is using Piezo-electric film, I don't have a Realist, never had one, but was wondering if this was the same technology? I suspect that it may be, and this thing is 1/4 the price. Anyone have any answers? Speculations? Good jokes? :D

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    According to US patent # 6,018,120 to R N Steinberger, to be a realist this stuff should:

1 be placed under the bass foot of the bridge, and
    2 pick up only a small amount of the forces transmitted by the bridge to the table, and
    3 be shielded from electromagnetic fields, and
    4 be flexible.

Anyway, I don’t think this is the piezo element currently being used to manufacture the Realist™.

But this tinker toying around is very interesting. If you find something good and new, just tell me and nobody else, we’ll file a patent application. ;)

3. I just started messing with PVDF film transducers. Up 'til now, bending mode piezo trnasducers were thicker than compression mode bugs. It's interesting stuff.

4. Speculation; I wonder how well film would stand up to around 120 lbs of pressure between the foot and the belly of the bass.

I seem to recall that tuned strings put about 240 lbs of downward pressure on the bridge, depending on the strings you're using.

5. Nit-pick: lbs. mean force, not pressure. These things are important to some people.
    Actually the force that a bass' table sees from the bridge feet is considerably less, somewhere in the neighborhood of 45lbs. when the strings are tensioned. The total tuned string tension however is in the neighborhood of 250-300lbs, depending.
    This film is made for strain gages and such and won't have any trouble with bass type forces.