Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this the Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 4, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ..that is the most bang for the buck and the most workhorse giggable machine?

[​IMG]

i'd say:

YES!

2. Yup, that pickup combo is killer... I love the sound of my Hot Rod P-Bass with both pickups on "10".

[​IMG]

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Barroso, I believe you can't go wrong with such a bass. It has the P and J things in a single bass. Should have a killer tone.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    One of my favs

Peace
    Nick

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    mmmmmmm...... I'll take it, but. you know, set up the right way.... this one looks like it's all, well, wrong! :D

just kiddin'

P@

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yeah!!!!! tufnuts is my hero... for atleast the next five minutes! :D

P@

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Can you get the PJ configuration in a 5 string ash jazz bass? I ask for no particular reason ;)

8. I've never played a P-bass with the P/J's, but I have on other basses; it's killer! :D

9. Yes. Click the picture!
    [​IMG]

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Is this the only colors/woods this is available in? Looks like something I might want but it's way too expensive for a fender (for me).

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i think that mike lull makes a Pj in 5 strings. sadowsky too.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Right but I'm thinking cheap...those aren't what I would call cheap. I mean I know I can get a basic Fender Jazz for like 400 something bucks, but its not a PJ...just curious if you can get a PJ in a jazz shape for cheap...

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO, no. Personally I think that the P-J pickup configuration is wack. The pickups were not really designed to work together at all. There are some frequency cancellations that make for a sound that I don't like much. Some people do like it. A bass like that is only good with either pickup all the way up and the other one off IMO.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You could take a MIM J5 and install a 5 string P pup then make a new pickguard to hide the woodworking.

Would be relatively inexpensive and easy to do.

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Not exactly Fender but these sound just as good as any Fenders I own and I'm a Fender guy.
    My St Blues
    [​IMG]

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that's SO nice!!!

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks barroso, The pic doesn't do it justice and it really is a thunderouse bass.

18. Dood! Aren't you thinking about buying a third Fodera right now?

19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah...I'm not just "thinking" about it I'm 95% sure I'm gonna do it. This would just be a beater I could do stuff with like add the LED's I talked about earlier and maybe install a midi pickup on. Stuff I would never want to do to my Fodera's...

I'm not really a fan of Fender stuff but I have played one I actually liked. Most of the one's I've played I've absolutely hated. However I did play a 5 string jazz once that I thought was pretty darn nice for the money. It played well, sounded good...didn't look too shabby either (wine red with white pickguard). I dunno...for a few hundred bucks you don't have much to lose. If I did though I wouldn't be looking forward to the "Fender Twist."