Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This The Ideal Location To Slap? (Possible Technique Overhaul Time)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassGod, Oct 28, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've known how to slap for a long time, but after purchasing my new bass, I've realized that I may be slapping on the wrong area of the bass. I'm hoping this isn't the case, as I'd rather not do a whole technique overhaul, but here's a picture...

[​IMG]

It's probably hard to see, but my thumb hits the string at about the twenty-fourth fret (with the part of my thumb that doesn't strike the string not passing the twenty-second), and most of my hand stays in between the neck pickup and the beggining of the fretboard. Basically, I need to know if my thumb should actually strike the string closer to the bridge, maybe in-between the two pickups, or if the way I do it right now is fine. My main concern is that when/if I learn how to double-thump, the fact that my thumb is over the fretboard will impede my ability to do so.

Where do you slap, and should I change where I do?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

Graeme :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You've got it right. Thumb hits the FB, fingers pull between 1st pickup and neck.