1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this the "Ken Smith" Tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I have heard a lot about the "Ken Smith" tone ... is this it?

I mean, that's obviously a KS bass but it this "the tone" that so many folks buy a Smith for?

2. Not sure if it is typical Ken Smith or not, but it is GREAT!

Thanks - will be checking this cat out more for sure :)

3. There is a little more treble in there than I'd usually associate with a Smith, but that midrange there is unmistakeable!

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yep. That's the sound. Treble is boosted a bit on that clip though. That 'Burp" is unmistakeable (well the Peavey Cirrus comes very close)!

5. ddwilkins

ddwilkins

Dec 21, 2006
    Wilson, NC
    Ken Smith all day!!!!!

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    cant get a smith tone off a onboard mic...

but its there... the overall tone of it... missing the punchyness of the tone..

7. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I LOVE that guy's playing!

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Sounds pretty much like mine did - minus the great playing.

9. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I have a Bubinga/Walnut Cirrus 5 and a Smith Black Tiger 5. While it doesn't sound exactly like a Smith (what does?), its close. Check out Mike Hill on his Tiger Eye 5, which is a close as you can get to the "Smith sound" without playing a Smith IMHO:

To my ears-THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A SMITH!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

10. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    Niceeeeee

11. Yep, that's about it. Like man others in the thread, I think that the "classical" Smith doesn't have so much treble and has more lower mid range.

That guys playing was awesome, and I really dug the country-ish run he threw in there

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I guess you could say it was 'country-ish' but that was actually a super fast Gospel 'shout run' that is prevelant in many urban churches.