1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is this the rarest most unique vintage Gibson ever made? (lefty content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    while I'm not a lefty when it comes to basses this left-hander certainly is one of the sexiest I've seen of all Gibsons, or any brand, IMO the dbl. guard option should have / be an option for all SG styles. it makes the iconic eyecatching devil-horned model even more appealing, reminds me of Cipollina's famous SG guitar. has anyone heard of another like it, even in standard right models? for those shocked at old EB prices they better not look at the ebay page lol
    RARE 1969 Gibson EB-0 LEFT-HANDED Bass w OHSC! Double-Pickguard Lefty! Vintage | eBay
    upload_2019-11-8_9-28-40.

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Ridiculous price.I highly doubt it came from the factory like that and without documentation It's a modded EB0. Lefty or not the seller is dreaming.

cellkirk74, Basvarken, Amano and 6 others like this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    beyond the sky high price are you saying the seller is scamming this? it's stated as factory.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Seriously?
    It reminds me of Mil Máscaras.

jimmyb and Thundar like this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    lol I like it! as a fan of both looks I'd consider that a compliment
    upload_2019-11-8_11-6-57.

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I didn't say he is scamming. I think he is misinformed, I could be wrong but I don't think so. He has no proof it's factory, with 40 years plus in retail and collecting I've never seen one with two pickguards, seen a number of lefty's over the years. Buyer beware.

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  7. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
  8. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    No, this is. It's not a bass, though.

Gibson Lloyd Loar F-5 Mandolin 1923 | Reverb

And, true to form, I have a story. A guy I knew found one of these in an old chest of drawers in a relative's house. I wish I would get so lucky.

Border and basspraiser like this.
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    He also stated that it's a "factory custom". I do know that way, way back in the day, left handed Gibsons were all custom made - and yeah, they are very rare - and very expensive when you can find one. I know, 'cause I'm a lefty who's always looking for lefty Gibsons. I don't know if that was still Gibson's policy in 1969 - although, I expect it was - but if that one is, indeed, a factory custom? Then It can have anything the original owner wanted on it.. There's a spot in my herd for a short scale set neck bass; that one certainly qualifies, but.. I don't think I really want one $7500 worth...:cool:

And, no; to my knowledge that is not the most expensive vintage electric lefty Gibson ever. Some years ago there was a lefty 1951/52 Gibson electric guitar for sale. The owner said that Gibson only ever made three of them. He wanted … wait for it... $500,000 for it. He didn't get it, of course; IIRC, he had to settle for only $200,000...:whistle:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Iristone and Bass V like this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    v cool! not as clean and pretty as my op with the nicely figured wood but this puts to rest any nay-saying.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That neck joint doesn't look too good on either of those!!!!! Is that common?

Iristone likes this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yes, my luck to that degree has been insufferable. I've often wondered why I don't stumble upon an ancient unwanted 'buckered bass lol it only seems fair! but if you want to veer out of bassland for unique instruments I can easily bury any mandolin with a ton of stunning steel guitars that truly wobble the mind. some steel makers in history must have come from another world with crazy stories to match. please tell yours!

13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep, a notorious potential problem for set necks, especially SGs. buyers can plan on a fix.

14. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

They made "lefties" back then for a price, even Les Pauls.

Price may seem high but more likely more for its condition.

Rarest guitar by Gibson is a very early Harp guitar.........in lefty.

Bass V likes this.
  15. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

I own 2 mid 60's SG's and a first year Les Paul Jr. All have flexy joints more noticeable in high humidity.

I came close to "Townshend"ing one of them when I showed up at an audition with those 3 rather than my Strat.
    Probably in an SG mood. All i did was retune that day.

I got the job.

Bass V likes this.
  16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have seen Les Pauls in the $300K range. For that price, they should cure cancer and make the owner a better person. I haven't seen Gibson bass guitars with an asking price of more than $15K and that was a pristine early '60s Thunderbird that hung around for a long time. I don't know if it ever sold.

JeroB666 likes this.
  17. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I saw Pete do that, not a pretty sight, and his Standard put up one hella fight. after 3 solid whacks that brick was laffing at him until #4 obliterated it into a cloud of debris. I'll never forget a gobsmacked PT staring at it like it was made of steel lol that was the '73 LA show right after Mooney conked out in Frisco and Pete pleaded for someone in the audience to bail them out. friggin Ox was solid, we got a rare encore!
    upload_2019-11-8_12-24-53.

EatS1stBassist, andruca and Rezdog like this.
  18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It could be and could not be, to seek the truth you should have the serials and some papers.

19. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I just love that other people here on TB even know who Mil Mascaras is!
    :cool:

andruca, Dluxe, jmon and 1 other person like this.
  20. Basswgn

Basswgn

Jun 1, 2019
    What I have always thought was strange is how much more "pronounced" the upper horn appears to be on the lefty SG models. I used to work at Gibson and I have checked; right and left hand models are the same (reversed), the upper horn always seems like its longer on the lefty models.

Maybe it's just me.