1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is this the rarest most unique vintage Gibson ever made? (lefty content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Nov 8, 2019.

1. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think it really looks cool! even if it was built for the disab...i mean the lefties! :laugh: but i'd rather have a beer than that ax. ;)

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what's even stranger is (and maybe I'm hallucinating) they tend to vary in extremes as this example is quite pronounced vs others which are virtually asymmetrical. I generally prefer the equal / mirrored look but on this exaggerated one it looks far better than usual.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    he was the hero of the day when he came on the scene in LA just as the Hispanic revolution was beginning c1970, Mil was the package. there was nothing to match The Olympic Auditorium (tho Oahu had an awesome thing going too at the old Civic Aud.) my favorite era was waning, Blassie, T-O-L-O-S, and the old guard were soon to be relegated to managers and true fake wresting was usurped by the McMahon bums who destroyed a great decades long run. Mascaras was the transition point and I was done with that stuff.

Thundar likes this.
  4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    is this the rarest most unique vintage Gibson ever made?

Not by a long shot. I've seen and played a couple of one-off prototype Gibson acoustic guitars owned by a friend.

A lefty Lloyd Loar signed 1920s Gibson mandolin might be right up there. The few righties left sell for north of $150k. TB Fun Fact: JPJ has one.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    LBS-bass likes this.
  5. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Yeah, I've seen SG's and the occasional Firebird and a brace of Thunderbirds with snapped headstocks. Most slid and fell. The TBirds tend to be more explosive where Firebirds tend to crack.

A bad SG won't take more than one good hit.

Bass V likes this.
  6. It sure looks refinished to me. And it’s missing the control cavity shield.

7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if Gibson lefties are essentially custom orders then all bets are off on in/consistencies.

bobyoung53 and Iristone like this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Let’s ask @Basvarken about this. After all, he did write the book...
    upload_2019-11-8_19-11-38.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    cool! but geez, how did I ever miss this book? maybe I can get a signed copy...

Basvarken likes this.
  10. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    I thought the bass horn is always a bit longer than the treble one.

11. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Send him a pm

Basvarken and Bass V like this.
  12. I’ve also never seen tuners like that on that era of Gibson bass.

Bass V likes this.
  13. I gotta say that I’m not a fan of the double PG. it doesn’t look right to me.

14. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    The tuners on the second one are the same that I had on a '69 Les Paul Bass. There was also a '68 EB-2D for sale on this very forum that had the same type of tuners, no holes filled etc. My take is that these are the original tuners.

As for the neck joints...tough to tell from pictures, but the first one might have had a reset at some point. I don't believe that the second one did.

Rarest vintage Gibson...after seeing a couple of Ripper prototypes that looked like a bass version of L-5S or something along those lines, a lefty-EB0 - while undoubtedly uncommon - would hardly qualify.

And I guess that EB-750 has reached the age in which it could be referred to as "vintage" also...

Bass V likes this.
  15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I agree, they've always been noticeably asymmetrical though I did wonder why.

16. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, the $7,500 for the bass seems reasonable to me... it's the $59 shipping that I'm choking on.

LBS-bass and Tvrtko like this.
  17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it looks all original to me, and those are correct keys for a '69. i just noticed it has side dots for a right handed neck. probably has them on both sides.

Bass V likes this.
  18. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Would have been nice if they'd actually had the contours of the body match up with the shapes of the pick guards. It looks like someone put the wrong guards on the bass.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Bass V and instrumentalist like this.
  19. That's because it's left.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  20. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky