1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is this the rarest most unique vintage Gibson ever made? (lefty content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    40 posts and no Gibson bashing? :rollno::p

Axstar likes this.
  2. Its very possible its original. There are other lefties going back to the 50's. There's a goldtop lefty out there, bursts, L5s, etc. They are just really rare, because they were likely special orders that took a long time to acquire (just like today...). Gibson has been left-adverse since the beginning, and only in the last decade, actually made factory runs of lefties, usually in specific model years. 2012-2013 is a popular year for instance.

Related, I was looking at a EBO slot head from the 60's recently for $700. They flip for lefties very easily. However, I decided I'd never make peace with the mudbucker, and didn't want to go down the rabbit trail of finding a pickup.

Bass V likes this.
  3. Let's keep it that way. :)

bobyoung53, nbsipics, Bass V and 4 others like this.
  4. Basvarken

Basvarken Commercial User

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Luthier / Gibson Bass Book
    It does look original. No signs of plugged holes on the right hand side of the body.
    Price is too high though. But who knows, if a lefty Gibsonite with deep pockets wants this bass...

5. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    Gibsonite. I also have a set of Ludwig drums, does it make me a Luddite? :p

Basvarken likes this.
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    What they did was to add a righty pick guard to mirror the lefty. Voila! Classic! Custom! Baloney!!
    (it’s also just a righty body-the horns were often slightly different)

7. Basvarken

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    No. Right handed models Of the EB-0 and or EB-3 always have the upper horn slightly longer than the lower horn. They are never near symmetrical.
    This one obviously has a lefty body with the upper horn (on the other side) being slightly longer.

Basswgn and instrumentalist like this.
  8. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    The original 1959 EB 0 bass is the rarest. I had the use of one back in the late 60s. Belonged to my guitar players dad's bass player. He had switched back to a Fender. But I got to use it two years. But damn he wouldn't sell it.
    [​IMG]

only 123 were built.
    [​IMG]

Basswgn, bobyoung53, ajkula66 and 2 others like this.
  9. Basvarken

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    The EB-0 with the LP JR DC body is very cool. But by no means the rarest of the Gibson bass guitars.
    Gibson built numerous one-offs and prototypes.

Basswgn and Bass V like this.
  10. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Mia Culpa.....
    I guess a test prototype could be rare. I was just talking about production models.

cellkirk74 likes this.
  11. A decade ago these were listing for a quarter mil. Prices have come down, and I’ve seen them listed for $130.000. We can thank Bill Monroe for their popularity. Chris Thiele has one, along with Vince Gill and Marty Stuart, among others.

Bass V likes this.
  12. Basvarken

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Only five of these were made:[​IMG]

Or this early production models of the Ripper. Only a handful were made:
    [​IMG]

Or this first version of the Les Paul Bass (the bridge and tuners aren't original on this one). I know of only three in existance:
    [​IMG]

Basswgn, cellkirk74, ajkula66 and 2 others like this.
  13. I bought a vintage (late 70s) bass from seller. He’s legit. Knows his stuff and seems to have a good eye for after market mods. Based on my dealings with him, he’d disclose it if he had reason to believe it wasn’t factory.

Iristone and Engle like this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thx for posting! definitely rarer.

but these are 2 fugly basses lol what wrestlers can we compare them to?
    upload_2019-11-9_5-59-26.
    upload_2019-11-9_5-57-8.

Basvarken likes this.
  15. It could be a factory install but it is too easy for a previous owner to have added a righty guard to their EBO.
    Gibson always made weird custom orders but this one is not enough of a Custom to be worth that kind of money. IMHO. BTW the upper horns on all of the EB series basses are slightly longer. Its just more noticeable on this Lefty because of the pick guard addition.

16. Does the lefty EBO look like it’s refinished to you?

17. Basvarken

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    No it doesn't. Although it does look very clean and it has very little discolouring (which you'd expect from a cherry finish of that age).

Basswgn likes this.
  18. Must have been sitting in a case most of its life! You should see my 67o_O

Basvarken likes this.