Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this the right place for solo bass music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Aram Bedrosian, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Endorsing Artist: Ritter, DR, Jim Dunlop, Hartke
    After unintentionally ruffling some feathers, I hope I have finally reached the right place to tell everyone about some new solo bass material at www.arambedrosian.com

I would be most appreciative for any feedback...

p.s. i apologize in advance for accidently breaching some code of forum conduct or breaking some forum rule..I didn't mean too, I'm simply trying to post a link!

take care!

2. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Hey Joshua,

I appreciate what you guys are doing I think you are doing a great job keeping everything organized...

thanks so much for your feedback. I have been meaning to add a fingerstyle piece to mix it up...Did you even think "Mezanine", the tapping piece sounded the same? :)

3. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Thanks again Joshua, thats a good point about the tempos..
    I've never thought about it...
    Good tip! Thats a great way to mix things up a bit...
    Do you have any music online?

4. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    I had a listen to Thumpty Dumpty and Mezzanine and found both tracks to be professionally played.I was a bit distressed at the choice of effects and the overall tone of the bass,but browsing through your site I found I very much liked the tune Cacophony.Very good musicianship and resultant sound and coherancy only attainable through hard practice.Good job my man!

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i really really dig this stuff man. great playing, great melody. Keep it up.

6. I kept waiting for the songs to kick out of that "phono" sound. Where was the bass? :D

On a side note, the Semantics were a great band from the early '90's on the Geffen label that featured Will Owsley, Millard Powers, Ben Folds (for a while), and then Zack Starkey (Ringo's son). They were fantastic, and now Will has a couple of albums out that are pure magic.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I dig solo bass work but it starts to sound the same after a while. In order for you to make it more interesting to bass players and non-bass players alike, let it break out now and then into something you wouldn't expect. Tapping is becoming common place. Give it a heavy techno feel chorus, or a rockin interlude. Some of the best solo bass pieces I've heard start out with very nice melodic tapping stuff and then gets an almost urban smooth groove going in the background (think Groove Armada). It helps to keep it from sounding "lonely".

I love your Ritter!! I love all Ritters, really. They have a very soulful tone, to me. The recordings sounded great. Keep up the good work.

-Eric.

8. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Thank you all for your feedback!...

about the effects:
    Effects are new to me so I really don't now how to use them yet..I just don't like the sound of dry bass when I am playing alone.

About the 'phono' tone of the bass tracks:
    ..I think you are right. There is alot of room for tone improvement. Still, It can be hard to get a tone which allows a good level of articulation while keeping a lot of low end. "Mezanine" and "Razor Down" have no mixing whatsover...I was too eager to put them online..

Thanks again everone for all your feedback!!!!

p.s. I love Ritters too...they really are lovely

9. NO WAY! Haik's younger brother and fellow BHS alum? Sweet! Welcome to TalkBass! ;)

Now we have to get Brian Gibson from Lightning Bolt on board here:
    http://lightningband.com/

You haven't ruffled anything, just keep the Vermont Bass Madness loud and proud!!!

Cheers,

Jay

10. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Its good to hear from you...
    I'll tell Haik you say hi
    Rock ON!

11. Aram,

Are you familiar with The Vermont Music Shop?

There are a few copies of my new record there. I think you can even go there and listen to it while you peruse other selections!

http://www.vermontmusicshop.com/index.php?i=cd558

Cheers,

Jay

12. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction Jay,
    I'll check it out!