1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is This The Right Way To Approach A "Mystery" Neighbor Drummer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Aug 6, 2012.

1. So I kinda been thinking about joining a band, or finding a jam partner. It's kind of difficult seeing as all my friends have quit playing music. And I never really come across local listings for band members, I check the local shops pinboards often and it's usually out dated or nothing at all.

But I keep hearing this drummer who lives on the street behind me, maybe 4 or 5 houses down, I can't really tell. But usually on a weekend or just random days I can hear him play by himself, or sometimes to classic rock, or Metallica...plus other stuff. Not a "great" drummer, but i'm not a "great" bass player.

So I thought maybe the next time I hear the guy play I could take a walk around the corner and locate the house as best as possible and leave a note on the door, asking him if he might be looking for a bass player.

I don't want to creep anyone out, I have no idea who this person is, how old or anything. But I figure that it couldn't hurt.

What do you guys think? Should I leave the guy alone? Or try it?

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Remember, when approaching a drummer in a wild setting, he's probably more afraid than you are. Do not corner him. Make sure you are armed, but that's only as a backup. If you offer him food, set the food down, and back away. Do not risk losing any appendages. Speak calmly, and slowly, but do not make too much eye contact. If you wish to show confidence, back towards him. Showing him your back tells him you're not afraid, but it is less confrontational. Above all, do NOT make sudden movements, and do NOT use complicated language. This is a DRUMMER, and although a mammal, still fairly low on the evolutionary scale. A good drummer is dangerous; a bad drummer even more so. Whatever you do, do NOT show him any instrument with more than four strings, and do NOT mention drum machines. You'll spook him right out with any of that. The main thing is, stay calm; maintain patience, and always have an exit strategy.

If you follow these rules, you CAN safely interact with drummers.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    ^ Post of the day! :D

4. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    I did this and we've been playing now for forty years.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I say go over and say what up.

6. grab a six pack and knock on the door next time you hear playing, you may have just found a jam buddy

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    This

8. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    I have a drummer nearby too. But when I get to close to finding him he get quiet like a cricket.`

9. JumboJack

JumboJack

Dec 31, 2007
    Lakewood,CA.
    Epic! :bassist:

10. If there was a post of the year competition, my vote would go for this.

11. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011
    What if it is a she, and she is 15, and her father answers the door?

12. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Made my morning!

Just go talk to the guy. My uncle used to play the drums. He would play in his basement. Fishermen on the lake behind him used to hang out and listen. I do not think he ever really played with others. It think it would have been great of somebody had knocked on the door and asked to jam.

13. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.

a six pack of sprite, and a talk with the parents about your intentions :p

14. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Paul may be correct on this. It would be super creepy if you walked over and this turned out to be a 13 year old kid...

I would wait until you know the person or 'know of the person' first otherwise its really awkward. Maybe find a reason to knock on the door while the drumming is happening or shortly afterwards and casually bring it up "oh was you i just heard? cool, but My daughter is selling girlguide cookies and i was wondering if you would buy some (try to have a daughter for this to work)"

15. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1... I'm literally in tears... sorry OP, you should find the house and ask, be polite and say how you appreciate the drumming coz you play rhythm too.

If they ask and seem friendly (or even if they don't) you can say 'I'm at X' we should jam sometime! Worst case is you'll get a funny look...

EDIT: If they are very young you might want to leave out that last bit... instead say you are very impressed... and they should consider jamming / playing in a band in school or something.

16. Brutal!!!! (means in Spanish Awesome, the best post in many times)
    Remember not to name any good drummer, no Pearl, no Erskine, no Smith. He will attack you right away.
    And always do what mellowinman says, have a exit stragedy.

17. In that case, just be thankful its not Dateline NBC

18. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Offer him a beer

19. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    I think knocking on the door and saying "What up" is a lot less creepy than leaving a note. Just my opinion!

20. FreshTrooperXBL

FreshTrooperXBL

Jul 24, 2011
    Riverside
    I'm also in a similar situation with a neighborhood drummer. I've only heard this person drumming away once, but man this person is funkiest drummer I've ever heard!

-unfortunately my roommates said they heard him playing with a band a few times :(