Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this "THE SCAM" or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cb56, Mar 28, 2003.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have put my acoustic g###ar up for sale on HC because of a family emergency
    I recieved an email from my ad here it is:

Hi,

I came across your ad on the web and I am writing in response to your RARE Guild JV52 acoustic guitar which you placed for sale.
    I am intersted and would be willing to buy it. So, I would like you to get back to me with any availble pics, also tell me its present condition. I would like to know if you are firm on your price too.

I am located in England but have an International shipping agent that will come pick it up from you and ship to me so you don't have to worry about shipping.

I will be waiting for your urgent response.
    Kind regards,
    his name

I told him unless he could have someone put US dollars in my hand no deal. Was I being scammed or did I just blow a sale?n :confused:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If the shipping agent can arrange to hand over the dollars (and you've got a suitable range of potentially scary looking friends to hang around in the background while you make the deal) I don't see a problem. On the other hand, if the buyer wants to get the instrument and then wire you the dollars, move on and find someone else.

Wulf

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Am I wearing pants right now?

You just don't know, of course. It's perfectly reasonable to require payment first, in fact, anything else is foolish. Send him all the pics he wants, but I would get a bank check before I let his agent take the guitar.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You are not being scammed, and I don't think you blew the sale either. It seems that the guy who contacted you 'knows the ropes' when it comes to buying stuff from the USA.

Most Americans don't ship outside of USA because they don't know how to arrange export. This guy took care of that for you by having an arrangement with a shipping agent. In his email, he did not discuss the payment, as that is probably covered in your ad.

This is exactly how I bought all the stuff from USA. I wire the funds to seller's bank account and have DHL or FedEx come to his house to pickup the shipment. I pay shipping costs at my end. You don't export - courier service does. And I have proof with your bank and mine that I sent you the money. Works great, even with eBay auctions which say 'Shipping to USA only' - I am not asking the seller to ship at all, just to pack properly.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Get cash in your hand first.

6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    He's gonna propose to send you a money order for 10,000. (or some ridiculous number that will be MORE than your asking price.) He'll ask you to deposit it and send him the remaining balance along with the instrument via his agent (or cousin Larry). The scam is that the Money Order will be fraudulent, and if the bank doesn't catch it in time, your instrument will be gone with cousin Larry, and the bank will be hounding you for the fraudulent Money order.

Don't do it!!!!

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Mario, I am truly amazed at your power to predict the future!!! Care to tell me which stock will skyrocket in next week or so? :rolleyes:

cb56, if he wires the funds, or sends you a cashier's check, you are 100% safe payment wise.

For those of you who pay this way, note that this way of paying is 100% unsafe for you, as the seller can chose not to send anything after he gets the money. Only alternative to this is an Escrow Service or dealing with a reputable dealer.

8. Use a third party for the money transfer, especially if it's a big amount. Get it into the bank, and have them verify the funds. THEN give the guitar to the shipping agent. But make sure that on HIS end the agent knows you and has at least seen the instrument, because he might be thinking the same thing, that this is just another scam.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

9. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I base my reply on the fact that those are the exact SAME words VERBATIM that I GOT when I posted my Epifani 212. Just remove his instrument description and insert mine and it was the SAME THING!!!

I replied with pics and further descriptions and got the offer to send a money order for $3500, (my Epi is $600). I'd deposit it, send the remaining $2900 to him via a cashier's check, and an agent would come get the cab, all I had to do was box it.

based on That INFO:meh: , what would YOU tell the guy??

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I suppose if I used paypal or something i would be safe. As far as Mario knowing the future, I think he has just seen the same or similar warnings about scams that I have, Read here for instance.

http://messages.stlmusic.com/viewthread.php?tid=2

11. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I know about that scam, but in your original post, payment issue was not mentioned in the guy's email to you. If I am writing to someone to close a deal, and he has payment terms in his ad, I would do the same - I would be concerned with shipping arrangements as the rest is already clear.

Re. PayPal, it really sucks for a majority of international buyers. They make you go through a lenghty sign-up procedure, and only tell you at the end that they only support 8-10 countries. On top of that, you don't have much protection as a buyer, even if you are lucky enough that your country is 'supported'.

What's worse, you could have a bank account in a supported country, but if you happen to be physically in a diff. country for whatever reasons, you will still be rejected.

12. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Here's a third on it... I got the same reply on a stingray 5 fretless I was selling... same exact wording... I had already sold, so it didn't go any further, BUT the fact that the wording appears to be so similar is a big red flag...

and let me guess- the response was weeks after you posted it right? I assume to catch guys that just want to dump the gear for $$$ as fast as possible...

ek

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey thanks for all your input folks. I've decided that I will only sell to people that will come to my house play the guit and hand me cash. I don't really want to sell the guit because it is one of only 28 made in a short run, but my sister is in a real bind. No job, no money for food or medical supplies (she's diabetic) and has had cancer surgery recently, and lives about 300 miles from me. I think we can set her up with a place to live but I needed the money to help her out until then. The scammer should be ashamed.

14. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Define "now" and while your at it, define "pants"

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    and now for today's scam email offer.

GOOD DAY
    I AM AN AUTO-AGENT IN WEST AFRICA.I WILL LIKE TO BUY YOUR (RARE Guild JV52 acoustic guitar) PLEASE GIVE ME ADEQUATE INFORMATION REGARDING ITS CONDITION AND HOW MUCH DO WISH TO OFFER LAST,HOPE IT WILL NOT BE HECTIC CHANGINGITS OWNERSHIP.PLEASE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU.
    BEST REGARD

I think I should pull my ad.

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    BTTT

I think everyone needs to be aware of this. I just found out this happened to a fellow Talk Bass member

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    "I am waiting for yor urgent response" would be a red flag to me. Huh? My urgent response? Or you're urgently waiting? ;)

18. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Go Here.....

He must think I'm STOOPID!!! I can tell by the syntax that it ain't for real.

You should see the PM I sent him.

Can't post it though, the Mods would be all over it!!

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well - I can understand you being touchy, but that to me just looks like somebody asking if you'll ship to Brazil? I don't understand why you'd send somebody an offensive message given that evidence.

:meh: