1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this the sound of Model "J" DiMarzio?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vistacruiser, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I'm groovin' on the tone of a cool, flipped for lefty, Single coil P bass doing "Mustang Sally". At least that's what I thought, until I noticed @28 seconds, what looks more like a cream colored Jazz pickup.
    There it is again, @1:58 a clear shot of a single Jazz pup on that early P. Check it out, The Commitments...

The Commitments- Mustang Sally - YouTube

Sounds pretty nice I think, is this what a DiMarzio Model J sounds like? I've heard they resemble a Precision split more than any other Jazz type pup. But also realize it's just a video, and the audio could be from anything.

Can some one I.D. that sound? I might enjoy that tone from my jazz. It's not as fat as a split P, but I dig it!

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Dimarzio model J's can sound that way with that playing technique, those strings, and that eq'ing at bass amp with that bass amp. Dimarzio model J's are as dkimarzio advertises. Higher output and fuller tone with more bass then regular fender J's. I'd also suspect he has them adjusted for bit less emphasis on treble bite and crunch via pole peices down to flush with top of the pups or little bit lower. You can get a more P like fulness of voice with them compared to many other J pups. But they dont have the little bit of note bloom like slower attack, of P pups. If you needed to simulate that, Id use comp set on slower attack. Its easier to do a P simulation with a J cause fast attack setting on comp doesnt really get rid of the bit slower attack P pups have. Lol.

3. they sound more dark and a bit fatter than a traditional jazz pup. For me, its more like a humbucker sound, not like a P..., but they have the parallel/series option, maybe on series mode its possible to get a P sound, but i always used to wire them parallel

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Series will make it sound big and thick like that, or you can do parallel and they will sound like a slightly hotter traditional jazz pickup. I recommend doing a push/pull pot or a switch to go between the two.

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    My bass is wired VVT, so I wired my Model J's each with a push/pull vol pot for the series/parallel option. Very useful. Often I use the neck on parallel, and the bridge on series. Gives a nice hollow woody tone.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Single coil Ps don't sound like the split Ps.

In that video you can see that he has a cream colored Model J installed in the P bass.

7. And it's a darn good thing too, because that way we have a whole 'nother dimension in the realm of P bassdom!

Hey if any body can tell what that elusive bass amp is, that would be cool. I think it shows up at 1:53 in the video, when the manager who leans on it, turns away. That would put one more piece of the tone-puzzle in place.

Seriously though, I posted this after viewing several Commitments clips and thinking first, "what a band!" and then, that the bass sounds great in this movie. To find that the pick up had been replaced with a DiMarzio Jazz humbucker was quite interesting. May be at one time it was the only noiseless single coil available.

Thanks for the tip on series and switch/pots, I had thought I would just wire in series

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You do realize that what you see in the video might have nothing to do with what you are hearing, right? Some of the gear might be stage props.

In the studio basses are generally recorded direct. This is even true of the old Motown recordings. You were not hearing an amp.

Interestingly, Kenneth McCluskey now plays guitar with the touring version of The Commitments.

9. Yes David, that's why I posted this way...

So part of what I was saying is, the fact that Kenneth, is that the bassist's name? in the movie, was playing an early P bass, flipped over, instead of a lefty bass, I thought was pretty cool. But then to see a Jazz pickup mod on it, and a DiMarzio at that, kinda blew me away. Especially since I had been digging the tone, thinking it was a stock single coil P.

So that brings us back to the other part of this, the question...

In other words, can any one vouch for that being the sound of the DiMarzio?
    If not, that's ok. I still think the musical arrangements in this film are brilliant, and don't mind sharing that with you all, even if under the guise of a peculiar pick up application.

Either way, I do plan to get a Model J for the bridge pup on my P/J. And I'll most likely wire it in series for the fattest tone possible. I know, the placement of the pup will affect the sound, so please don't think I expect it to sound just like in the movie. Lol...Now, black or cream...?

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It's probably a Model J. They have a fat tone.

11. And you sir, have some neat stuff on your page. Bookmarked

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Thanks!

13. Well done burl, thanks for the link!

Listening to your clip of Model J neck soloed does show similarities to the tone of the bass in the video I linked. The Model J's sound a bit thicker and darker than your stock pups for sure, just what I'm after on my flatwound P/J bridge pup.

14. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    SNCpre likes this.
  15. Tristan, thanks, enjoyable reading and sound clips. I will be sure to make my basses pick up holes more profound, if needed, for the Model J's. 8)