Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this the spinal tap of bass solos?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

He even referred to it as the Seinfeld Theme Song :D

2. i belive what he is playing is a variation off of higher ground
    its funny how many times peopel here any slap ive played and go, o wow its sienfield, after i will i had to learn it so now i can correct people :p

3. He is a monster on slap bass......*chuckles*

4. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    NO ONE CAN STOP THAT WHICH IS NICOLAS KELEY!

5. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    But seriously... to be fair, that kid is pretty good for his age, and is probably gonna be a kick ass player when he gets older.

6. you'd be amazed how many people are impressed by that...musicians don't see much in it, but non-musicians think its pretty hot...

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Well after this post the kid has got more people talking about his bass playing than I ever will. So well done him

8. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Well, it's better slap than I can do.

9. well the tone sucked and it wasn't that great.

lowsound

10. I hope the guy taping that didn't really think that was "Seinfeld", because it sounded nothing like that.

I thought the guy was alright. Better slap then I can do. Don't really see the point in that kind of bass line, though.

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    That's what we call wanking. It has no feel. You can't follow it. It doesn't have any semblence of a tempo. Basically, it sucks.

Every once and a while I do stuff like that when I'm practicing to see what comes out. Yeah, it wows some people, but there's a time and place for everything. The only time I can EVER see a reason to play like that is when it is completely buried in a song and it makes up the fabric of an interlude like techno songs can do. Basically, never do that where people can hear.

-Eric.

12. you never know, he may be better playing with a drummer...wanking fits in places, i mean, victor wooten makes it work, so does stu hamm...it has its places

13. Seigi

Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    I can't slap for my life. Basically, I'm only at the point where I can hold down the groove, but not much else. I mean, the most complicated bassline I can play is The Guitar by They Might Be Giants. Leet bassline, just not terribly complicated.

14. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Ive been playing for about 8 years. I consider myself pretty good I think (not great), but I cant slap to save my life. Ive tried, but the music I play doesnt call for it, and I dont really like slap bass music anyway... SO.

15. If you're gonna wank, atleast have a consistent time/rhythm. Sometimes less is more, even if you're having a wank.....

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Is it just me, or do a lot of bassists with videos on Google think a sense of rhythm is optional? If you're going to wank, do it in time.

17. "sigh"
    it's 1337!! not Leet!!

18. only newbs say 1337 instead of leet ;P